Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Alex and Mine's Reactions To The Latter Half Of Burn Notice Season 3

During one of my visits to Alex last month, I brought Burn Notice Season 3 along. We'd watched my copy of Season 1 previously, and he owned Season 2, so why not get him as caught up as I could?

My favorite episode of the season is still the one where Michael plays the mysterious guy who pressures Omar, King of the Barrio, into finding the child predator, Rincon. With the snappy outfits, and the various tricks to make himself appear supernatural, it's a style that really appeals to me.

Alex liked that episode too, but preferred the later episode where Dead Larry returns, having used Michael's name while ripping off a cartel. I think he enjoyed seeing Michael actually experience some fallout from taking his friends for granted.

I'd enjoy that episode more if I felt like it truly produced a change in Michael. He does apologize, but in subsequent episodes, he reverts back to not keeping them in the loop, or simply not trusting them to help. Some of it's a desire to protect them, but it feels a lot like trust issues, which is kind of ridiculous considering how often they stick their necks out for him.

One thing Alex and I agreed on was that neither of us was fond of Simon. Alex simply described the guy as "a dick", but for me it's that he's too obviously nuts. Gilroy was also off-kilter, but he had a style I prefer in villains. Simon's too much the modern day Joker. Crazy, likes killing people, doesn't really care about anything except his rep as a killer. It makes him harder to counter because you can't use money or threats against him or loved ones, so I guess that can be interesting. I prefer villains who enjoy their work, but aren't entirely consumed by it. Gilroy and Dead Larry do what they do for money. They both enjoy their work, but also enjoy the perks it brings them. Or Arcade, certainly he enjoys killing, but doing it with style is even more important. And so's the money, or he'd simply abduct random people off the street and throw them into Murderworld, rather than taking on contracts.

No comments: