Friday, October 28, 2011

What? What Did I Say?

A week ago, I was watching the last Inspector Alleyn mystery with my dad. It concerned a waterfall with alleged healing properties that the locals had turned into a cash cow. This being England, all their property (and the waterfall) are owned by some English woman who doesn't live there, but strongly disapproves of the commercialization of the falls. She visits the town to make her feelings known, and squabbles with the biggest booster of the falls. Then said booster winds up floating facedown in the water, someone having dropped a rock on her head.

Throughout the show, my dad had been wondering why the old woman was so deadset against the deal with the falls. I pointed out she wasn't against people visiting, or dunking their hands in, she was against the whole ridiculous show that had built up around it. Turns out she had another reason for hating the whole operation. Which doesn't mean she's the murderer, alright?

While we were arguing about this, I said, 'It doesn't matter anyway. Now that a person's been murdered there, any healing properties will be tainted, or outright gone. Like desanctifying a church.'

Dad paused for a beat, looked at me, and said, 'I wish I knew where your brain gets these little bits of information.'

Do you think telling it was from an issue of Shadowpact would have been a good idea or not?

No comments: