Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Should I Make A Joke About Missing The Mark?

When I reviewed Avengers Solo #2, I mentioned there were some sequences I thought weren't laid out logically, and said I might have to try and get a shot of one of them. And that brings us to today.

Here's the page I was talking about. I know, the glare from the flash is irritating, just work with me. The thing that bothers me about this is we have this big shot of Hawkeye with the bow drawn, and he's facing left, towards the beginning of the issue. Then in the lower right corner, we have this little panel of the actual path of the arrow, which Hawkeye arced down the staircase so it would hit his target and plant a tracer. You can't really tell from the way I took the photo, but the panels in the top half of the two pages are set up so you read across the two pages. So the reader's eyes travel across the top of the page. Then it seems like the reader's eye might follow Hawkeye's arm back to the left, along the arrow, only to have to go back to the right for that last panel. Or perhaps the reader skims from Hawkeye's steely gaze straight down to that corner panel, ignoring the arm, bow, and arrow. In one case, it would seem like it's counter-intuitive layout, in the other, it's kind of wasted space.

I wonder if the large shot of Hawkeye was flipped by accident. If he was facing the other way, then the reader's eye could travel from Hawkeye, along the arrow, and that would almost naturally lead the eye to that panel in the right corner. I don't have any proof that's the case, but I've seen panels like that in other books, where things look like they were reversed*.

I do think it might have worked better if the shot of Hawkeye spanned the bottom half of only one page, and the flight path of the arrow took up the lower half of the other page. As it stands, we have this shot of Hawkeye with the bow drawn back powerfully, and the flight of the arrow is this small panel, almost weak. Like a Roadrunner cartoon, where the Coyote tries to launch himself with a bow, and it looks like it'll be some powerful shot, and it duds somehow. His face hits the bow, the bow falls over, or he just doesn't go anywhere. In the story, Hawkeye's making a pretty good shot, but I'm not sure the way things are laid out really conveys it.

* My main example was from BKV and Kyle Hotz' The Hood mini-series. Near the end a character had a briefcase of money in her left hand, a gun in the right. In the panel where she's killed, they've switched hands. There's no background to tell anything by, so I've always wondered if Hotz drew it, and it somehow was flipped in the printing or copying, or something.

No comments: