Monday, October 22, 2012

I'm Coming To Accept Conquest Is The Only Way To Get All The 'Clix I Want

Last month was "DC characters I want made into Heroclix", and now, as is the tradition, it's Marvel's turn. I'll go ahead and take the opportunity to mention Death's Head won the fan vote. Doesn't mean much to me, other than being one less figure I need worry about purchasing.

As is typical, Marvel had more sets than DC. I'm not sure why it works that way, but it has pretty much for as long as I've been playing the game. Marvel seems to get 2 sets for every 1 of DC's. Perhaps a licensing cost issue? No matter. Marvel had a 10th Anniversary set at the same time as DC's, and prior to that, there had been a Chaos War set, an Avengers movie set, Galactic Guardians, and early last winter Incredible Hulk.

I ignored the movie, set, because it isn't really the universe I'm interested in, if that makes any sense. Hulk was a bit disappointing, not many new figures I wanted, with the exception of Amadeus Cho. Mostly just new versions of figures previously made. Galactic Guardians and Chaos War did a bit better in that regard. So, looking back over the categories from last year:

Cosmic - Galactic Guardians had Cosmo, so that effectively takes care of the DnA Guardians of the Galaxy. They also, for the Gerber's Guardians fan put in Charlie-27 and Martinex (Vance Astro, Starhawk, and Yondu all came out in sets several years ago), as well as some of the cast of the '90s version. Ikon couldn't prevail in the fan vote, but she might make it into a set somewhere down the line.

Street-Level - Not nearly as successful here. My hopes that Rage might make it into the Avengers-themed Chaos War set were dashed, and no sign of Silhouette, either, not that I really expected her. Misty Knight and Colleen Wing also failed to make an appearance, but there's a Spider-Man set ready to go next spring that's supposed to have the Daughters of the Dragon in it. It's something, at least.

Mutants - No joy here. Stacy X, Monet, and Layla are all still absent. It wasn't a great year for mutants in general. A few Avengers-related ones, a few of the big names in the Anniversary set, but that's about it. Oh, and Mr. Sinister was in Chaos War, as the figure designed by the World Champ. There's a Wolverine and the X-Men set supposedly coming out next summer though, so I'd expect the X-Factor ladies to at least have a chance then.

Avengers - For some reason, we got few GLA members in an Avengers set than in last year's Captain America set. Dinah Soar was the only one to make the cut, and it's strange, because I was sure she had the capacity to make ranged sonic attacks, but they didn't give her any range. I was certain I'd seen her use it against Songbird in Thunderbolts. That still leaves Flatman and Bertha, no telling when they might show up. We did get an Eric O'Grady Ant-Man in Chaos War.

Atlas - You might recall I was rooting pretty hard for Triathlon to win the fan vote, and instead he was bounced after the first round. Alas, alack, to be cut down so. I don't have nearly as much confidence he'll show up eventually as I do Ikon, which is a pity since I'd much rather have Triathlon. As for my Derek Khanata wish, I'll probably have to settle for a generic SHIELD agent (or the Gabe Jones limited edition), and leave it at that.

No comments: