Saturday, February 28, 2015

Things Are Uncertain With May's Releases

May could end up being the calm before the storm on the comics front. Convergence will be wrapping up, but we won't really see what comes out of it until June. I want to see the solicitations for all these new books DC is going to put out before I start making any decisions on that score. So look forward to that next month, I guess.

I still can't believe they got Ennis and McCrea to do Section Eight. When I saw that title I glossed over the creators, so I just assumed it was another book about yet another paramilitary, semi-secret group. Like Team 8, or Suicide Squad, or that spy group Dick Grayson is a part of now. But no, I guess it's going to be about Sixpack and Dogwelder and the rest. Maybe. They could do something entirely different. Have to wait and see.

On the Marvel side, it's the start of Secret Wars! Oh boy! *fart noise* And here we see the beginning of the likely to be nearly endless wave of tie-in mini-series. The only one they have listed for May I might buy is Master of Kung-Fu. I skipped that recent Shang-Chi mini-series because I doubted Tan Eng Huat's art was up to the task, and I generally haven't heard good things about it, so score one for me. But this has Dalibor Talijac listed as artist, and from the few Deadpool things I remember him drawing, that's fairly encouraging. As I'll be down to a measly 5 ongoings from Marvel by then - Rocket Raccoon, Ms. Marvel, Ant-Man, Squirrel Girl, and the rapidly approaching its end Daredevil - I can spare the space. At some point there's going to be a Spider-Girl or MC2 mini-series with the Tom DeFalco/Ron Frenz team, and I'll probably get that, too, but beyond that, who knows? And I read somewhere Ms. Marvel is definitely doing one of those "Last Days" tie-ins, which is what I was afraid of. Secret Wars is too big for books to just ignore it.

Outside those two companies, Descender will be continuing, but there's as yet no sign of Roche Limit. Though I haven't decided if I'll continue with it or not. See how issue 5 goes. No sign of an Atomic Robo mini-series, either, but that could be because it either hasn't started yet, or that when they decided to go the webcomic route, they're abandoning print versions entirely. Hopefully there'll still be trade collections. I still dislike reading comics on a computer. I have a few trades of other things I'm waiting to have come out, and if I like them, I might start buying those. That sci-fi/Western series Copperhead is the most notable, and the trade comes out this month, so if I get that quickly enough I may pick up the new issues where the trade left off. More wait and see.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I have to say that the approaching end of Ward and Samnee's Daredevil just makes me sad.

I doubt that I am even going to bother with Secret Wars. Just have no interest in it whatsoever.

CalvinPitt said...

I don't have any interest in Hickman's main story for Secret Wars, but I'm hopeful we'll get some decent mini-series out of the whole thing.