Monday, January 25, 2016

"Sounds of Silence" Was Just A Song Title, Not A Suggestion

On more than a couple of albums I've bought, the final track will consist of a song, then a long stretch of silence, and then another, "hidden" song. The length of the silence varies, from two minutes up to seven on some of them.

I usually listen to music when I'm driving, so it isn't the worst thing, except that I put the album in to listen to music. If I wanted silence, I could have put nothing in and kept the radio off. Mostly, though, I'm just curious at the logic behind it. Is it a tradition going back to live performances, the performers seemingly leaving or being finished, then starting up again to the delight of the remaining crowd? A special reward for sticking around until the very end? It doesn't require any effort on my part, all I have to do is keep driving and letting the album play. It's oddly placed for an intermission, which I've also seen on several albums. Little bits that are under a minute, maybe a conversation or bit of music, but those are normally somewhere in the middle, and there's still something going on during them

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. See the link below for more info.


#silence
www.ufgop.org