Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Daisy's Difficult Road

One thing in Giant Days that I'm curious to see play out, and that I forgot to mention in the review last Friday, is Daisy's discussion with her grandmother about her being a lesbian.

Daisy seems to be dreading it so much. She's been putting off telling her, to Ingrid's annoyance. Of course, Daisy didn't tell her Nana everything about how she celebrated her first birthday at university either. It isn't unusual for kids not to tell their parents everything they get up to at college, but I get the feeling Daisy hasn't kept many secrets from her grandma up to this point. I talked about a lot of things with my paternal grandmother for a lot of years. Then there was that point there started being things I didn't think I could discuss with her (although that was related to our really different ideas on religion more than anything else).

Daisy's worried her grandmother will not be OK with it, and since she's pretty much all the family Daisy has, that could be a crushing blow. I doubt it'll go that way; it doesn't really seem in keeping with the tone of the book. Characters can fall out among themselves, but not typically that seriously. Grandma disowning her/having a heart attack in shock would be on a different level from Susan and McGraw's on-again/off-again relationship drama, or Esther briefly deciding to give up on schooling.

Also, I can't remember Daisy ever mentioning anything about a grandpa, which makes me wonder if her grandmother hasn't had a few girlfriends of her own.

I'm not sure what effect the recent falling out with Esther and Susan is going to have, in terms of whether it pushes Daisy to have the discussion or not. They don't have a problem with Esther having a girlfriend. It's this particular girlfriend is either extremely selfish or just oblivious, depending on how charitable you feel. Daisy could certainly still feel that it's cost her two people she was close to, and be worried about losing yet another person that is important to her.

It also means she's lost two of her main pillars of support. If she has doubts, worries, they were the ones she could confide in. Maybe Ingrid can be that person, although that obliviousness could be a stumbling block. I'm not sure she'd recognize it was a difficult issue for Daisy, especially if she starts getting impatient.

No comments: