Thursday, May 10, 2018

Baskin

A squad of Turkish cops answer a call from another unit about a disturbance, that leads them to an abandoned building that was a police station back in the Ottoman Empire days. Now there's some wackaloon religious cult in there and things go downhill very quickly for the cops.

I didn't finish this one. I was intrigued at the idea of this small group of guys finding themselves in way over their heads and then having to fight like hell to get out. Sort of a Resident Evil (the games more than the films) vibe to it. Maybe it would have ended up like that, but people were being slowly disemboweled and having their eyes put out, and that stuff isn't my bag.

It doesn't necessarily bother me in video games, but the fact that I can usually control things to avoid that (and hit restart and try again when I screw up) mitigates it. Also the difference between a fictional character being represented by a real human in a film, versus a bunch of pixels in a game probably factors.

There are some interesting parts in there. The rookie of the group, Arda, is the nephew of the leader of the group, Remzi. The two have a conversation, possibly in a dream, about being able to see ghosts and spirits, and what that can tell them.

There's also a part where one of the other cops beats up the waiter at a restaurant because he thinks the guy was laughing at him, and does this with Remzi's go-ahead. So I wasn't entirely sure I cared if any of these guys made it out alive, anyway.

For someone more into this style of horror film, it might work pretty well. Just not for me.

No comments: