Sunday, August 05, 2018

Sunday Splash Page #28

"Do Not Feed The Wildlife," in Angel and Faith #13, by Christos Gage (writer), Rebekah Isaacs (artist), Dan Jackson (colorist), Richard Starkings and Jimmy Betancourt (letterers)

OK, not exactly a full-page splash, but there weren't a lot of them to choose from that I really liked. Certainly was not going to pick one that prominently featured Angel.

This series ran from 2011-2013, which means it's been almost exactly 5 years since it wrapped up. Which doesn't seem possible, but here we are. I've always liked Faith enough as a character to be able to tolerate Angel. Christos Gage had written a couple of books for Marvel I'd generally enjoyed, he's pretty good at keeping subplots going in the background until it's time for them to take center stage, and he seemed to have a good handle on the characters' voices. I wasn't familiar with Isaacs' artwork prior to this, but she was able to draw the characters to look recognizable, without being too obviously photo-referenced, so things don't look awkward and stiff. She draws a solid fight scene, and she can draw giant, disgusting creatures.

I thought the book dragged a bit in the last third, but overall it was pretty good. Giles' vain aunts were a solid comedy duo. I might have just been annoyed at how Gage wrote Spike when he popped up, since Spike is my second-favorite character in the Buffyverse. Gage and Isaacs went on write the next season of the main Buffy title, which I did not buy, because I don't care for the title character.

No comments: