Monday, September 17, 2018

What I Bought 9/13/2018

Took two different comic stores in different towns on different days, but I did find all four books I was looking for from last week. Small victories. There's supposed to be another four comics out this week I want, but finding all of them might be harder to manage. in other news, I learned yesterday they are doing a new version of Magnum P.I., with some guy who looks like he stepped out of an Ax Body Spray commercial playing Magnum. Ugh.

Ms. Marvel #34, by G. Willow Wilson (writer), Nico Leon (artist), Ian Herring (color artist), Joe Caramagna (letterer) - I'm impressed Shocker can bend that far backwards and maintain his balance. You'd think he'd need to put one leg further back to brace himself.

Shocker has no idea what his machine does, other than it creates portals, which he boots Kamala into. She's lost outside time until Singularity shows up to eventually get her back home. Everything I know about Singularity I've learned from Googum using her in his Deadpool and Nightcrawler strips the last few weeks. Back in Jersey, Kamala has to resume fighting Shocker, except Bruno intervenes, having figured out how her powers work.

There are some interesting implications for Kamala's powers based on what Bruno found, depending on what Wilson decides to do with it. In other news, I'm so happy for The Shocker. He got to do an old-fashioned showdown in the middle of the street against a super-hero! So cool! You go Hermann! Actually, it just occurred to me that Shocker's costume is padded to protect him from the vibrations from his gauntlets, so punching him really shouldn't even work, should it? I feel as though Spidey's run into that problem before.

I notice Bruno is the only one whose name is listed on the Emergency Power Shutdown Log in the lab, which doesn't surprise me. We never see anyone else in there. You think there'd be at least one other science nerd in the school. I have no idea what that place was Kamala and Singularity wound up in initially. Is that something left over from that A-Force book that existed for five seconds a couple of years ago? Or is it something that's going to be relevant to this book going forward?

There's not a lot else I want to say. It's a middle chapter of a story, it's setting a few things up for next month, getting pieces in place.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #36, by Ryan North (writer), Derek Charm (artist), Madeline McGrane (minicomic artist), Rico Renzi (color artist), Travis Lanham (letterer) - Yes, that is certainly a picture of a squirrel covering its mouth.

New York is menaced by a giant ghost lady that cancels out all sound. Or steals it all. Everything is silent now. All the various heroes fail to defeat the ghost which, come on. I know Dr. Strange isn't at the top of his game now, but it's a frickin' ghost. Peter Venkman was a damn charlatan and carrying on inappropriate liaisons with his students and he could handle ghosts! Iron Man can't build a dang nuclear accelerator? Certainly T'Challa has protocols for dealing with ghosts. Anyway, Doreen and Nancy figure out what the ghost's problem is, find common ground, and noise returns to New York City. Hooray?

As far as silent issues go, it's not bad. I was afraid North and Charm were going to resort to a lot of gags about people writing stuff out so it could be read, but they mostly restrained themselves. They even refrained from any of the text jokes at the bottom of the page. When this got solicited I wondered if they'd hold off on those for this issue. There are a few jokes about t-shirts, or books that thankfully use pictures, but not too many. And I liked the shirt gag. I would buy a "I was afraid this might happen so come on guys what the heck" shirt. I have that reaction to people all the time.

I'm disappointed Yankees Stadium didn't sustain more damage from having heroes repeatedly swatted into it. Although the Yankees would no doubt demand the city pay for repairs, so probably for the best. Plus, there's not anyone on the Yankees I would particularly want to see get squashed under Ant-Man's butt, now that Jeter's retired. That would have been a hilarious way for Jeter to end.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

The only Yankee I ever really liked was Andy Petitte. He had really pretty lips.

CalvinPitt said...

I liked Ichiro and Brendan Ryan when they were Yankees for 5 minutes. Of course, that was because I liked them before they were Yankees and saw no reason to stop, but it still counts.