Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Big Wheel Keeps On Turnin'

We've reached the end. . .of Year 16 here at Reporting on Marvels and Legends! Tomorrow begins Year 17, a bold new era. . .of much the same stuff I've been posting on here for years!

This past year was a little quieter than the one before it, and not just because the family with the rambunctious kids downstairs moved away. There was no weather related home or car damage. There was some car-related damage to me, though, providing a valuable lesson about the dangerous nature of being helpful.

The governor of our state ended the work from home status, forcing me to readjust to needing to actual prepare for work in the morning. As opposed to rolling out of bed and staggering to the living room table in my sleepwear to boot the work laptop up. I'm not sure working from home was good for me in terms of getting actual work done, but it was definitely good for me in terms of feeling relaxed and exercising.

As for the blog, like I said, nothing much changes. I've reviewed a lot of movies, many of them very bad. Reviewed two dozen or so books, some good, some bad. The Autumn of the Patriarch being unreadable was an unpleasant surprise. With the pandemic not disrupting things quite as much, there were more new comics to buy and review, so reviews of tpbs and manga dropped from the year before. Only 26 Random Back Issues this year, versus roughly 36 the year before. Hard to believe given that stretch of six consecutive Fridays in October and November where I ended up with a Random Back Issue, but it's true. Sunday Splash Page made it from Gerber's Defenders to the Aguirre-Sacasa Marvel Knights Fantastic Four series. Got out of the D's right around mid-year, and that's the last letter with more than a year's worth of posts to do for a long while. I'll actually wrap up the F's by year's end, and I think we'll be most of the way through the H's by this time next year.

I did not do the additional diversion writing here on the blog that I hoped to. I've been working on some other, very long pieces to post elsewhere, and that's been a battle. There was one I hoped to have done by June, and I'm still not done, although the end is near. For the story or for me? We'll see. Either way, I won't make any promises in that regard for Year 17. If I manage to write about the Clever Adolescent Panda's trip to cheer up or Rhodez, or one of the other things I have in mind, then you'll see it. If not, well, you won't.

There is one thing I plan to change for the upcoming year. I did the math, and it's going to take until somewhere in 2029 to finish Sunday Splash Page at the rate I'm going. That's not accounting for however many series I add over the course of the years I don't currently have. Even I can't picture myself still doing this in 8 years. Or maybe I can't picture Blogger still existing in 8 years. 

Anyway, to expedite the process, starting January 1, I'm going to begin Saturday Splash Page! Which will start at the end of the alphabet and work forward! If I can actually keep it on a weekly schedule, the two post series will meet up somewhere in the P's in late 2025. It means I'm trying to go back to everyday posting for the first time since early 2015. Don't know if that will work. I'll probably cut back on movie or book reviews. Sometimes I feel like I'm looking for something to watch as much to have something to post about as anything else. That way lies. . .well, you've seen some of the shitty movies I've watched over the years.

That's it, basically. Thanks for reading, thanks for commenting if you do.

4 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

Thanks for posting! I plan to be blogging in 2029, so I hope you are too.

(Although yeah, Google will probably retire Blogger before then.)

Here's to Year 17!

Gary said...

Congrats for sticking at it for so long! Here's to next year, and the one after, whatever platform you're on.

CalvinPitt said...

kelvin: Thanks! I guess I could still be going by then, it's just hard to picture sometimes.

Gary: Thank you. I don't really know website design, so that probably limits my options if I have to switch platforms. I make be able to make it work on Tumblr, but who knows?

Gary said...

I made the jump from Blogger to Wordpress a few years ago and it was straightforward enough; there's more capability in Wordpress if you want to build a bigger, fuller site, but at its core, it can just be a blog like Blogger.