Saturday, November 08, 2008

Unrelated To Anything Else

I really dislike Ginkgo trees. The female ones, anyway. If you aren't familiar with them, their seeds have the appearance of being a fleshy fruit, but pretty much smell like dog crap. So you can be walking along, smell something unpleasant, step on one of these without realizing its the source, and then you can't figure out why the smell keeps following you. Plus, they're kind of sticky, so not terribly easy to get off your shoes.

There's one down the street from whre I'm currently located, and I've already had the misfortune to step on its seeds once, but even now that I'm avoiding them, the smell tends to hang over the area, and spread from there. Makes the evening constitutional a bit less leisurely when I'm in that general location, that's for sure. Guess I'll hope for a good rain to wash them away. Or I could sneak over there and cut the tree down. Except the ginkgos are the last species of their family in existence, so as a biologist, I probably shouldn't be working against their continued survival. Nature doesn't make it easy.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I did NOT know this about Gingko trees. Which, since my brother is a Botanist, and my oldest daughter a Biology major, I probably should.

And they say you don't learn anything on comic blogs!

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Other point of interest that I learned while checking a few facts about this online. the compound that makes the seeds stink, is the same thing that causes the smell from rancid butter. Kind of odd.