Saturday, September 26, 2009

What I Bought 9/25/09 - Part 2

Hey, let's talk about comics that came out this week! I have nothing else to say as an intro!

Guardians of the Galaxy #18 - OK, so Star-Lord and company didn't die from falling into that star at the end of #16. Instead, they're being bounced from one universe to another by ripples in time. Oh, and they're also all at different ages, except Jack Flag, who isn't apparently doomed to save the universe and the wink out of existence. Damn, I like Jack. So the issue is the team joining up with a different set of Guardians of the Galaxy (those on the cover, and yes, that's Wonder Man with the beard) to try and use Doom's time machine to get home. But they get bounced to another universe too soon, and keep getting shuttled along until it looks as though they've reached their universe, albeit 1,000 years later, and it's not a happy place.

I like that in every universe there are Guardians of the Galaxy, but they're always fighting something different (the group on the cover is fighting Martians, as would be expected when Killraven's involved). Also, Cosmo as a puppy, wanting to go to the park and chase squirrels was funny. Wesley Craig's back on the art, still expressive, does a good job conveying the difference in ages for the Guardians in the current states (I can't really describe it, but somehow, Bug just look younger, adolescent). I also think he does a little better at keep things clear when lots of characters are involved. With fights, he's using an establishing shot, then switching to smaller panels focusing on individuals or pairs.

Immortal Weapons #3 - We follow an orphaned boy, Sihing as he tries to keep himself and a younger boy alive during the Opium Wars, always hoping Dog Brother #1 will arrive to rescue them, as he is said to do, provided you are lost enough. To keep the other kid's spirits up, Sihing tells stories of Dog Brother's exploits, but stories will only take someone so far, especially when they get roped into being drug runners. In the back-up, Iron Fist and Jada continue searching for her brother, and continue to have no success.

See, I liked this more than the previous one. We learned some things about Dog Brother, such as his purpose, and how the mantle is passed, which is different from what we've seen of the other Immortal Weapons thus far. Plus, this issue was drawn by Timothy Green, and I find it an immense improvement over Brereton's work from last month (though I imagine the three inkers weren't helping Brereton). It's odd, Green uses a lot of little lines in his work, especially on faces, but they don't annoy me the way they do when Foreman does it. Maybe because Green's lines are thinner, so they don't bleed together as much.

Nova #29 - Nova Prime and several other Novas board the ship that came through the Fault last issue. They meet the Nova Centurion piloting it, and he has a prisoner. He also has a stowaway, which would be the man on the cover, Monark Starslayer, who proceeds to smack the Novas around pretty good. He's also screwed the pooch for everyone, because in an attempt to stop Worldmind from scanning, he infected it with a virus, causing it to shut down, which has enabled Ego to regenerate and get active again. Also, the prisoner's crew arrive to rescue him. That's a bad thing.

Well, I've only just met Mr. Starslayer, and I'm already eager for his comeuppance. 'Don't you just hate it when someone has much cooler toys than you?' What an arrogant prat. Oh well, he's a bounty hunter so I guess it's proper for him to be an unlikeable ass. I'm glad to see Abnett and Lanning are keeping things hopping, but Ego's back already? A few issues ago it was going to take centuries, then he was recuperating faster, and now he's awake again? Might have dangled that particular sword a bit longer. I guess Nova's rotating artists like Guardians of the Galaxy, because DiVito's out, and Kevin Sharpe's back in. He seems to make everything so shiny, I'm not really sure I dig it, and character's movements seem awkwardly depicted. On that third page from the end, final panel, I'm not sure what the Novas still on Nu-Xandar are doing. Their hands are glowing, but they're not shooting or creating shields. Do they think Ego's afraid of glowing lights?

Power Girl #5 - Power Girl investigates the crashed ship. It's pilots escape while she's busy doing this. Ship explodes, but is nice enough to make only a small crater, and not scatter debris all over creation. Power Girl washes her cat, interviews someone for a marketing position, then has to rush off because the owners of the ship that blew up are in a firefight with a goofy due with a jetpack. Also someone was taking photos of Power Girl. I think I know where it's going, so at least she hasn't fallen into one of those, "Ha, ha, I know your secret identity, and will use that as blackmail, mwa-ha!" things.

I'm really surprised how uncool Jetpack Dude looks. I was under the impression etpacks made everyone look cool. Even Cyclops. I think it's that bit of hair sticking out from under the skullcap. Makes me think of jheri curls, which makes me think of the Beyonder, and then I start thinking of Secret Wars 2, and . . . *thud*. *Time passes* Sorry, I blacked out. Maybe it's not jheri curls, more of an Elvis thing? I really expected these alien girls to be more destructive, but until jetpack guy arrived, they were fairly restrained. Curious. What should I say about Amanda Conner's art this month? I really enjoy the expressions the cat makes while it's being washed, especially as it makes its escape. It's looks so miffed about the whole thing, and possibly is contemplating revenge. Which would make sense. It is a cat.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Gosh, I love Peej's cat. I also managed to somehow miss picking up Power Girl this week,and I'm not sure how.

But yes, I'll be on the lookout for jetpack guy.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: I like reading about the cat, but I imagine meeting it would be unpleasant.

I wish you success in your search for the issue.