Monday, August 22, 2011

My Dad's Comics Come Through Again

I mentioned in my Cowboys & Aliens review that watching the film, I had a sense that I'd seen several parts of it before, in other films. I also mentioned that the scene that reminded me of Apollo 13 reminded me of a cover I'd seen in one of my dad's comics as well.

I had some time, so I went through the comics of his I've held onto. There weren't that many to search through, and I did find it, in Our Army at War #214. The lead story is some hotshot private learning that you're never on your own in Easy Company. I'm guessing Joe Kubert wrote it, I know Russ Heath drew it (Kubert drew the cover), because he made sure to write his signature in. It's a good plan if they aren't going to have a credits page somewhere.

The other two are about the fall of the Bastille (illustrated by Ric Estrada), and one called "My Coffin, The Tank!" Cheery. There's also a page at the back with a brief bio on Thutmose III (illustrated by Ken Barr). It says he had rode a chariot of electrum (alloy of gold and silver). Gold's pretty malleable, isn't it? I'm surprised it could stand up the stresses and torque a chariot could face. Guess they could beat it back into shape later.

The cover I was thinking of was for DC Special #6. It's basically how I pictured it in my head. I didn't remember the hype next to the cover, which says 'These 6 people: Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, Buffalo Bill, Kit Carson, Tomahawk, Pow-Wow Smith, are involved in the most daring & different D.C. Special!' I don't know if they fended off an alien invasion, or got swept up and sent across time and/or space.

One other thing. Somewhere on the first page of each story is a little notation in the corner of a panel. It's K and a number. "Easy Co. . . Where Are You?" is K-264, the Bastille K-245, and "My Coffin, The Tank!" is K-14. Does that represent Kubert keeping his scripts numbered?

No comments: