Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Not Continued From Any Post Previous

Another quick post. If you're reading the current Defenders title, how do you feel about the little comments/blurbs/directions Fraction has at the bottom of each page?

I swing between being amused by them to being irritated. I liked the one about Werewolf By Night Nurse!, but the ones like "continuing from second page previous" are trying too hard to be clever. Some of them feel like they might be from the same mysterious third-person narrator the actual story has, but others are simply advertisements for other Marvel comics.

Fortunately, they're relatively easy to ignore (I have to make a conscious effort to read all of them), but I kind of want to read them all because I think Fraction may be using them to drop hints about the story.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been enjoying them. They give the book a very 70's retro feel that I find charming.

CalvinPitt said...

Dennis: That's what I figured he was to evoke, but that's why I wonder about some of them being too cutesy. Like he can only use him in a way that sort of pokes fun, rather than just using them in a straightforward manner.

I could be reading too much into it. He could simply being using them to have fun and be a little silly.