Saturday, September 08, 2012

'Tis The Season To Vote. . . On Heroclix

Last year, Wizkids did this fan vote to decide on a DC character that would get made in some future set. Despite my hopes (and votes) that Sand would triumph, ultimately Big Barda won out. She actually hasn't been made yet, but there's a set coming out sometime soon she should be in.

Having, done it once, they've decided to do it again, this time with Marvel characters. The first round voting started yesterday, so all 12 are still in play. And the nominees are:

3-D Man/Triathlon
Annihilus
Death's Head
Executioner
Ghost Rider (Alejandra Blaze)
Hellcat
Ikon
Major Victory
Mangog
Silver Sable
Sleepwalker
Xemnu

It's kind of interesting they didn't offer anyone with the level of appeal of say, Kyle Rayner (who was one of the options last year), or even Starfire, really (also one of last year's choices). And over half the choices have never been made before, which is nice. Though it's sure to produce a lot of acrimony on HCRealms, with the fans of those characters fighting amongst themselves since each will figure this is their favorites' one chance. I've looked at the threads that already popped up. Every character on that list has ardent supporters.

I don't have anything against any of the characters, but there are some I'm able to easily discount. I've never read anything with Death's Head in it, and Xemnu is limited to a couple of Defenders appearances.

Executioner and Mangog would be nice if I had a Thor villains team (the way I have a Sinister Six or Evil Mutants team), but I don't, so no thanks.

I already have both a Johnny Blaze and Dan Ketch Ghost Riders, and I don't know what team I'd use Alejandra on, so I'll pass. I don't have a Sleepwalker (since he's never been made), but I don't know exactly what I'd use him for, so not really interested.

Annihilus was made as recently as the Secret Invasion set, which was about 4 years ago, but wasn't that many sets ago. Certainly not compared to the other characters that have already been made. The figure's still a beast. All it needs is the "Annihilation Wave" keyword to work with all the Wave-related figures they added in Galactic Guardians this spring, and it would be fine. Wizkids can errata that in if they want.

Which still leaves 5 choices. Silver Sable could go on an Outlaws team. I have all the others thanks to the Web of Spider-Man set, but there's already a Silver Sable from an earlier set to use if I really want. The same basic deal with Hellcat and Major Victory. I could use them for Defenders of Guardians of the Galaxy, respectively, but they've both been made in the past, and I'm willing to go forward relying on those figures. So it's down to Ikon or 3-D Man. I have both an Annihilators team and an Agents of Atlas squad, so I could use either one. All the other members of Atlas are "retired" figures, but that's more relevant to someone who plays a lot of competitive events at venues. I mostly just goof around with them at home., which is why I went with Delroy. I like Agents of Atlas more than the Annihilators, and I think he'd bring something interesting to the team.

We'll see if he can even survive the first cut.

No comments: