Saturday, January 05, 2013

It Takes Real Brains To Always Avoid Illumination

I mentioned in my review of Daredevil 20 & 21 that I believe the shadowy figures responsible for the creation of Coyote are also the people who approached the fading echo of Klaw with a way to bring back the original in the opening arc. Naturally, the question becomes, who are they?

The bit we saw in 21 suggests there are two of them, one male, one female. Not overweight, their dialogue suggests confidence, intelligence, an air of superiority. They must have money and resources, and either they have scientific knowhow, or they can contract people who do.

My first though, oddly enough, was Andrea and Andreas Strucker. The old X-foes, Fenris. The have the arrogance and money in spades. While they don't object to getting hands on, there's no reason they wouldn't send others to do their dirty work, and they've been involved in schemes targeting superheroes before. That mid-90s X-stuff with the Upstarts or whatever.

Then I looked them up and was reminded Andreas was the Swordsman for a time, and he wrapped his sister's skin around the handle of his sword so he could access their powers (which required physical contact). And he had to go to all that trouble because Andrea was dead. This comics, so she could be back, but I'm going to assume Mark Waid doesn't feel like going to the trouble to come up with an explanation for how.

So someone else then. I cynically considered Nick Fury and Maria Hill, maybe to see if Matt's still unstable, or to use him as a punching bag while they use villains as a testing ground for potential technologies. But Old Nick hasn't been around for a bit, and New Nick wasn't a factor when Klaw was up and running. Madame Masque seems worth considering, but I don't know who she'd be willing to work with.

I know none of these folks are typical adversaries of Matt's, but neither are Klaw, Mole Man, the Spot, or Latveria. Waid seems to be enjoying using people Daredevil doesn't typically contend with, so why not an unusual mastermind?

I'd welcome any ideas you readers have, because I'm drawing a blank at better options.

No comments: