Thursday, August 22, 2013

Can You Get What You Want Sometimes?

Have you read an ongoing series that was exactly what you wanted from it? When I realized Captain America wasn't going the direction I wanted, I started to wonder if any series had done that.

Normally if I start buying something, it's because the concept sounds interesting, based on where I think it might go. But in a lot of cases, the creative team opts for something different, and often it's still very enjoyable. I still wish Abnett and Lanning had given us a Magus vs. Kang war, with the Guardians of the Galaxy caught in between, but I was still pretty satisfied with where they went given the limited time they had.

The Jen van Meter-written Black Cat mini-series from 2010 was pretty close, since it opted for a "heist gone bad" approach, and I definitely wanted a caper flick feel. Power Girl might be the closest, for the first year, with Conner, Palmiotti, and Gray. I wanted Peej to have some sass, beat up bad guys, and enjoy doing so. I didn't want the book to take itself too seriously, and it didn't. The Aguirre-Sacasa Nightcrawler series wasn't, because I would have preferred something more light-hearted, more swashbuckling. Fewer grim demonic threats from Kurt's past. It's still pretty good, but it wasn't really my ideal for Nightcrawler.

Thinking about it, a lot of times I don't know what to expect. I had no idea what Immortal Iron Fist was going to be, other than it would involve Iron Fist, and that turned out just fine.

No comments: