Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Kung Fury

Alex insisted I watch Kung Fury, which is a 30 minute, Kickstarter funded film that takes everything director David Sandberg (who is also the writer and lead character) felt was a part of '80s films, crams them together, and dials it up.

So there's rampant gang violence, Uzis, arcade machines, Hasselhoff and Knight Rider references, barbarians, rookie cop partners, inaccurate depictions of computer hacking, time traveling Hitler, time traveling to stop Hitler, and on and on.

The characters all react as if everything is perfectly normal, none of this is unusual, which is the best approach (it reminds me of the Speed Racer movie like that). Having them smirk or give the audience a knowing wink would kind of ruin the effect. You're meant to let the momentum of it carry you along and laugh when you feel like it. Some parts are so ridiculous I couldn't do anything but laugh and appreciate Sandberg deciding to do that (I don't want to spoil any more of it than I have). There is a post near the end where Sandberg seems to be trying to cram in as many references as possible before the movie ends, and that got to be a little much for me. Maybe 25 minutes of nostalgia at a time is all I can handle.

No comments: