Monday, September 25, 2017

Looking To The End Of The Year

So, December's solicitations have been released. It's a quiet month. I'm continuing to buy the things I was buying, and there's not much new out there.

There's going to be another Empowered mini-series or story released, this time with Carla Speed McNeil handling art duties. I owned the first two volumes of the Finder Library by McNeil a few years ago, but ultimately gave them to a library. It wasn't because of the art, though, which was excellent. I just could not stand Jaeger, at all. But he won't be in this comic, so that shouldn't be a problem. Hurrah!

Copperhead continues, Atomic Robo has cyborgs assuming people's identities, Esther is going to try and fix a problem in a manner that will probably backfire spectacularly in Giant Days. I was reading over DC's solicits and noticed that in the Ragman mini-series, the title character is bringing down demons, rather than trapping human criminals? Or perhaps he does both. I'm not sure about that development, I guess it'll depend on the execution.

Marvel, there was nothing new I intend to purchase. They are putting Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm together, sans Reed and Sue, in Marvel Two-In-One. Oh, and Marvel is bringing back Jean Grey, the adult one, since they already have the time-traveling teen one running around. Does this qualify as an event? There's a mini-series attached. Marvel said some point back in the spring they had no Events planned after Secret Empire for 18 months. Which, granted, is not the same sas saying no events are going to happen in the next 18 months. I don't think any of us would be surprised if they trotted one out with no planning. Actually, I think we'd be more surprised there was ever any planning involved in these events.

So once again, Marvel tries to get me to care about Jean Grey, an effort as doomed to failure as all past attempts to make me give a shit about Jean Grey. In the teen Jean's book, she's called in all these past Phoenix hosts to help her contend with the approaching Jean, Phoenix, whatever. Except once again, Rachel Summers/Grey appears to have been skipped over. Sure, she's been about the most successful host, why would you want her there? It's Avengers vs. X-Men all over again.

Squirrel Girl is going into space to find Nancy and Tippy. Beta Ray Bill is on the cover. I am super-excited at the prospect of Squirrel Girl teaming up with Cyborg Horse Thor! What? I'm being completely serious. I'm capable of genuine enthusiasm.

Gwen is wrapping up her fight with a Doombot, Kamala has vanished, prompting the community to form the Ms. Marvel Emergency Squad, and Deadpool is going to actually kill Cable. They promise. For reals, guys, Cable is going to die. Seriously.

I wish Marvel wouldn't toy with me like this.

One last note, just because. I like the covers Khary Randolph's doing for Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider these last few months. Granting that there's a difference between covers and doing panel-to-panel sequential storytelling, but I like the energy and the angles of the covers. I'd have been much more likely to keep buying the book if Randolph was the interior artist. Not to be, though.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

If Squirrel Girl is going into space... will we see Cat Thor?

CalvinPitt said...

It's possible. Maybe they run into the Shaper of Worlds or one of those other cosmic weirdos with vague powers.

SallyP said...

As long as Kraven shows up, I could live with that. She would make a heck of a Herald for Galactus!