Monday, November 27, 2017

Not Much To Love In February

There wasn't much new in the solicits for February I was interested it. Unless I try that Mata Hari mini-series from Dark Horse. Not my usual fare when it comes to comics, but it might be worth a try.

The Empowered comic drawn by Carla Speed McNeil will be in a skip month, as is Copperhead. Atomic Robo: Spectre of Tomorrow is wrapping up, and promises Robo teaming up with his oldest foe. Is that Helsingard, or the ghost of Thomas Edison? Or Doctor Dinosaur, who of course time traveled here from over 65 million years ago and was definitely not created in a lab by someone who got too excited by Jurassic Park.

DC is still doing Doomsday Clock, and this Metal thing. Hard pass. There's a bunch of crossover one-shots between DC titles and the books from the Young Animal line, including a Cave Carson/Swamp Thing crossover I might buy. Michael Avon Oeming isn't drawing it, so I don't know. There's a Mera mini-series, which isn't for me, but I know there are some folks who have been enjoying her in Aquaman recently, so hopefully they'll like this.

DC's also releasing collections of Planetary, maybe I should check those out. Warren Ellis is pretty hit or miss for me, though, and I don't know if the villain being Evil Fantastic Four is something I'm up for.

Over at Marvel, Squirrel Girl is still trying to get into space, or maybe she's made it. Gwenpool might be nearing the end of the line. Ms. Marvel the character is still MIA, and Deadpool is still trying to kill a bunch of people before someone croaks him. All this fuss because he killed Phil Coulson (although I still think Coulson isn't actually dead). Movie Loki killed Phil Coulson and Thor seems to have gotten over that. They not only brought Jean Grey back, they immediately gave her a team book and put her in charge of it. I'm curious where Marvel is getting this conviction there was a groundswell of support for having multiple Jean Greys running around. Although with multiple Hawkeyes, Spider-folk, Wolverines, Hulks, I guess they might as well.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

The pickings are indeed slim. I remember being shocked and upset the first time they killed Jean. Nowadays... not so much.

thekelvingreen said...

I also find Ellis a bit hit and miss but Planetary is good. The Evil FF thing isn't a big deal as the characters are in the background for most of the series and Ellis doesn't labour the idea. It's less of a series and more a collection of connected one-shots, so I'd say get the first collection and see how you like it.

CalvinPitt said...

Sally: I will give them credit; they've left her dead for longer than I'd expect (even if they fudged it having Teen Jean running around). 'Cause Grant Morrison killed her back when he was writing X-Men, right? That was, 14 or so years ago?

But I don't see the need to bring her back now.

Kelvin: Thanks for the info. I probably will give it a whirl at some point.