Friday, October 19, 2018

What I Bought 10/12/2018 - Part 3

One more book left to review, from two week ago. Who's in the mood for a little Christmas cheer?

Yeah, me neither.

Giant Days #43, by John Allison (writer), Max Sarin (artist), Whitney Cogar (colorist), Jim Campbell (letterer) - I wonder what the little sweat drops are made of. Walnuts? Raisins? Little chocolate chips? More frosting?

Daisy keeps roping the students who come to her with problems into working at the Christmas village. Which is a horribly shoddy place that pays nothing. One of the students is doing a piece for the school paper, and when it comes out, Cliff and his operation disappear. Even his apartment disappears, somehow. Thankfully. I wasn't really interested in his plotline, so the less I see of him the better. Unless he returns at a later date to be promptly hit by a truck, but that's not very in the nature of this book. Anyway, Ed is still no closer to the funds he needs to travel to Australia over the break, but Nina's father agrees to pay his way. While also describing Ed as the 'boy laying drains in his daughter's fields,' which sounds unbelievably filthy. Or I've been reading too much fanfiction lately and my brain has snapped.

The two threads I'm most interested in here are, firstly, the possible rehabilitation of Dean Thompson. Dean actually warns Ed that his employer has made it into the papers, and that Ed is named in the article. And not in a smug, mocking way, but in a way that suggests he's actually concerned for Ed. Which makes me think that conversation he tried having with Ed a few issues back was actually legit, and not just him stalling. Which is. . . surprising. The question is if the others will notice and encourage it, or mistrust it, or just wreck everything.

The other thread is whether this Saffy girl who wrote the article is going to be some potential future love interest for Daisy. I'm not sure there's much likelihood of it, but it seems possible. Although considering she described Daisy as an "idiot", to her face, I think Daisy can do better. But she dated Ingrid for several months, even when it made her miserable, so I'm not sure Daisy's standards are high enough. Or perhaps it's her self-esteem that's the issue.

The melting robo-Santa would haunt my dreams if I were still a child. As it is, I now find the idea of children being traumatized by it amusing. For my next trick, I will build a machine to block out the Sun, so they all have to rely on my nuclear power plant. I am confused about why Esther, as she gets excited about winning an essay contest while only using her phone, has little crosses in her eyes. Unless it's supposed to be a pound sign, which would make sense as she's after the money. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

No comments: