Wednesday, March 29, 2006

What I Bought 3/29/06

It appears the ant infestation in our kitchen is dying out. Which only leaves me with quizzes, tests, plant collections, twenty-page history papers, thesis research, fall schedule making, driver's liscence renewal, and I'm sure 3 dozen other things that haven't yet reared up to kick me in the head. Damn. I sound like Ultimate Spider-Man. Two books this week. Spoilers, blah.

New Avengers: The Illuminati - Hmm wasn't Alex Maleev involved with that book Magnus: Robot Fighter? The name seems familiar, or maybe I'm just confusing "Maleev" with "Magnus". That's probably it.

So, Iron Man's a douchebag. What? He is! Always trying to boss everybody around. I still can't believe that Richards is going to go along with this. I wonder if Sue would take the opposite side. Now see, that would make the Civil War more interesting. Too bad they're about to kill her. Dumbasses. Oh, and "No one's seen Xavier since House of M"? I've seen him, just this week in X-Men: Deadly Genesis! Seriously, how were these guys going to try and keep things running smoothly when a smart-arsed college kid from Missouri is better connected than they are?

Was Namor's staunch defense of the Hulk in character? I never really had the impression that Namor regarded Hulk as anything more than a potentially interesting opponent, but damn, he was adamant about them not shooting the Hulk into space. Which they did anyway. And I agree with Namor: Hulk will find his way back (probably courtesy of Annihilation), and man, is he ever going to SMASH. Stark better hope he is really is the Machine God Warren Ellis made him into, because that's the only way he'll last three seconds.

Dr. Strange felt a little passive to me. Maybe as a Master of the Mystic Arts, he's used to sitting and contemplating/meditating more, but he probably could have bothered to assert himself more. At any rate, I found it funny that the reason Tony gave for why they needed to go to the government themselves and agree to the plan (to avoid conflict between long-time allies) is exactly what happened to them. I know, I know, that was the point, still I've reached that point with Tony Stark, where much like Batman, anytime something throws a wrench into his plans, or he gets his butt kicked, or even gets shown up, I'm rather pleased. I can't decide whether that's a sign that he's being written well or not. I'm liked him pretty well during the most recent Busiek/Perez run of Avengers, and he didn't act like this then. 4 out of 5. Yeah, I'm as surprised as you are, but I did enjoy it.

Ultimate Spider-Man #92 - Hey guess what, Peter managed to go a whole issue without being unmasked! I didn't think that was possible! This issue basically involves Peter landing on an island, and generally making a fool out of himself, while trying to help the X-Men defeat these weird Cyborginator guys. At least he wasn't an ass like Cyclops. "What are you doing here?" He's saving your sorry, ungrateful hide Summers! Don't think I've forgotten you laughing at that made for TV movie! Bleepin' Cyclops, needs to get his gastrointestinal tract webbed up. Or, I could follow Tevion's idea and just force-feed him Slim Jims. Apparently if you eat enough of them, you're blocked up for at least three days. That's got to start feeling uncomfortable at some point. Where was I?

Peter's pretty spastic (even by his standards) out of concern for Kitty, and his confusion over why different X-Men kept knocking out X-Men. This was kind of fun, nothing special. It makes me wish they hadn't already created Ultimate Arcade as some lame bounty hunter. I'm not that big a fan of Mojo, though it remains to be seen whether he's involved with this or not. Murderworld would have amused me more. And Ultimate Deadpool lacks that hint of whimsy. His rant on the final page just didn't have that humorous sense that you get from Marvel Deadpool. Darn. 3 out of 5.

5 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

Oh wow, I hated Illuminati. I thought it was dreadful, pretentious, yet hollow gibberish.

Chris said...

I've reached that point with Tony Stark, where much like Batman, anytime something throws a wrench into his plans, or he gets his butt kicked, or even gets shown up, I'm rather pleased. I can't decide whether that's a sign that he's being written well or not.

::whispers::

It's not. But you didn't hear it from me. :-)

Jim said...

Illuminati seemed to me, from the preview, to be a writing exercise on the part of Bendis. He took something that should've just helped him generate ideas and plot points, and pretended it would work as an actual story.

After flipping through it I became convinced it was bad and that you could get any important information contained in the book from the cover. These boys formed a secret club.

(Mavleev=Maleev)

CalvinPitt said...

jim: thanks for the correction.

kelvin and jim: I can't say why I liked it so much, when both of you hated it. I think (and I mentioned this in the comments at 2 Guys Buying Comics) I'm hoping this gets all the exposition out of the way, and now Millar can just give us lots of action. That would be good, wouldn't it?

it's not but you didn't hear it from me.

Huh, who said that? Show yourself!

Anonymous said...

Namor defending the Hulk...I haven't seen the issue, so I can only comment from past experience. Namor has fought side by side with the Hulk repeatedly in the past, given Dr. Strange, Hulk, Namor, and the Silver Surfer founded the Defenders.

So I think he would have more sympathy for Hulkie than a lot of folk