Wednesday, December 06, 2006

What I Bought 12/6/06

Poor week. Only two books, though I did think about picking up The All-New Atom as part of my Find a New DC Book Experience, but there wasn't time to skim through it before I had to take my leave. Shouldn't have wasted the time looking through Spider-Man: Reign #1. Ugh, more depressing Spidey books I do not need. Probably for the best anyway, I need to conserve funds to purchase gifts for others. At least I know they're doing the same for me. It's that mutual sense of anger at wasting your money on others' desires that makes this season so magical.

Man, where did that come from? Let's just get to the books for the week, because I've got waterfowl to identify, and hydrology to chart.

Dr. Strange: The Oath #3: Plot in a nutshell is that Strange discovers who hired Brigand, and we learn a little about who's pulling that person's strings, and how they are somewhat attached to Strange's past. Simple enough, but the touches along the way make it awesome. Wong actually gives Marvel a bit of a blueprint of what to do with Strange when he says that magic can't do anything science has already accomplished. I think it also foreshadows the end of the story a whole lot, but I could be wrong. Strange gets a little bit ruthless with Brigand, which was a little surprising, but his friend's life is on the line, there's no time for "nice". Night Nurse swings from calmly capable, to motherly in her concern, to bitingly sarcastic when their enemies get down to doing what they do best.

Plus, Dr. Strange has many foes. I don't recognize most of them, but there sure a quite a few. The opening page, from the Book of the Vishanti is a nice touch, and Marcos Martin, combined with colorist Javier Rodriguez, do a nice job of conveying the emotions of those involved. Sadness, shock, concern, stress, ecstasy, and anger. Really good with the anger, notably on page 18 when Strange says 'Sorcerers have little patience for the laws of nature...and even less for the laws of man.' I believe that scene may have merited Fortress Keeper's trademarked "Hardcore, Chuck." 4.7 out of 5.

New Excalibur #14 - Cain Marko wants to be unstoppable again. Cyttorak can make it happen, but there's a cost, and you can probably guess what it is. Juggy knows, and he's not sure whether he's willing to pay it or not. It is tempting though, especially when Cyttorak drops his little bombshell at the end.

In the meanwhile, the team's supposed to be following Cain's trail, but they seem to be more interested in using the one blazed by the Teen Titans post-OYL. At least Excalibur's bickering is interesting. It's remarkable how fast Dazzler and Nocturne were at each others throats, given they were such fast friends earlier. This is the point where ESPN's Bill Simmons would make some sort of crack about how women always turn on each other, but I'd like to continue to live, so I'll move on. Suffice to say, when Dane Whitman's the only person who notices something's wrong with the team, especially considering how smart Sage is supposed to be, that's probably a bad sign. I'd imagine Big Red has something to do with it, but we'll have to wait and see. It was pretty interesting, and while I'm not as big a fan of Calafiore's art as I was of Michael Ryan's, it certainly does the job just fine.

Though everyone does seem to have the same chin. 4.2 out of 5.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Calvin, are you planning to buy Beyond! in a collection?

Marc Burkhardt said...

Ahhh! Every copy of Doctor Strange was gone by the time I got to the LCS today. Hopefully, that translates to good sales everywhere - but probably isn't a good guide since Dan Slott's Thing comic used to sell out too.

Anyway, I'll have to rustle up a copy for the "Hardcore, Chuck" moment.

You were right to skip the Atom this week. It was the last of a six part story that tied pretty closely to the Brave New World sampler that came out half a year ago.

Not exactly a done-in-one. Try next issue if you're interested.

CalvinPitt said...

dan: I think I'll have to. I didn't realize it was good until it was over half done, and I hate jumping into things part way.

That and Agents of Atlas will have to be the rare trade pickups for me.

fortress: Well, I'm bummed Dr. Strange wasn't there for you, but I'm glad it sold out. Good sales are always a plus for these things.

Yeah, I've been glancing through Atom, but not enough that I probably could have followed what was happening.

Anonymous said...

Calvin: Okay, there's a big spoiler to the series that is related to a recent post of yours but I don't want to ruin it for you.

Anonymous said...

ok ima get oath in trade...if your saying its cool ima get it, so far your reviews have been helpfull with things im not sure about. if i never said it before thank you

gabesummers

CalvinPitt said...

dan: AGH! SPOILERS?! Recent post!? Can you tell I'm typing loudly for no discrenible reason?

gabe: Well, I'm glad to have been of assistance.