Sunday, February 11, 2007

Have Movies Lied To Me Again?

So I've noticed Wonder Woman's on trial for killing Max Lord in Manhunter (Or maybe not. The trial could be over by now for all I know). I'm just not entirely clear on why. She's a ambassador from Themyscria, so doesn't she have diplomatic immunity? From this, I'm forced to consider certain options:

One, the theory of complete diplomatic immunity, as espoused by the classic film Lethal Weapon 2, is a overhyped bunch of junk. Diplomats can, in fact, be tried for murder by other countries. This raises the question of why Black Adam hasn't been tried for his various actions over the years, including ripping a man in half in front of a crowd of reporters.

Two, Diana's diplomatic immunity is no longer recognized, what with her country having vanished from the face of the Earth.

Three, the DC Universe does things differently, owing to the fact that superhumans have a tendency to run around saving people willy-nilly, without any respect for international borders (I'm looking at you Hal Jordan!).

Four, Diana's chosen to stand trial, as part of her ongoing attempt to spread a message of peace and tolerance throughout the world. In essence, putting her faith in the American (she's being tried in America, right?) legal system. In which case, she's either banking on her celebrity to see her through, or she's made a serious misjudgment.

And how does that story jibe with her being out of sight during 52, or being a government agent in her own title? Man, I thought Marvel was the company with the messed up timelines.

4 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

I think she no longer has diplomatic immunity, but was exonerated for her "crime" by the World Court.

Of course, the US don't care about no World Court so they are putting Diana up on federal charges.

And I don't know how that lines up with the upcoming (someday, really) arc where Diana Prince, secret agent, is ordered to hunt down Wonder Woman for charges of murder.

Another reason why I'm thinking of giving up on in-continuity titles completely. It's not like the companies themselves care.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: OK, that explains some things. I remember the World Court thing from during Infinite Crisis. I wondered if this was something different.

SallyP said...

I...I just kind of miss Max as the old scheming businessman, trading bon mots with L-Ron. Evil Max just depressed me.

And I'm reasonably sure that Wonder Woman will beat the rap. Crazed aliens will attack the courthouse or something, and she'll save the day.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Yes, I believe the crazed alien attack is an accepted legal defense in most comic universes.

Maybe Kate Spencer can convince Obsidian to do a little acting to help her client?