Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Does This Seem Kind Of Odd To You?

This just popped into my head a couple of days ago, and so I wanted to share it with you.

Here we see Spider-Man #16, Todd MacFarlane's final issue before leaving the book (to start Spawn I'm assuming). Notice that on the cover, Spidey is saying 'Bye Todd'. But MacFarlane is credited for having drawn the cover himself. So does that mean that MacFarlane is, in essence, saying good-bye to himself? And if so, does that seem silly to anyone else? I mean, at least get Erik Larsen or someone to draw the cover, otherwise it comes off a bit like an ego trip.

On a basically unrelated tangent, what's Greg Capullo up to these days? He was the primary artist for Spawn for something like 80 issues (wasn't he?), but I never see his name on anything (except an occasional Spawn cover).

5 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

Of course it's an ego trip, it's McFarlane!

Apparently Capullo's working on a Batman/Spawn crossover, but that was scheduled for 2006, so I don't know what happened to it.

Jason said...

Todd McFarlane on an ego trip? I'm shocked, shocked to hear of such a thing!

Maybe the editor threw it on there as a joke. I do remember hating reading this issues since it was side-ways. It fell on the "stupid" side of the fine line.

SallyP said...

I can fully believe that Todd McFarlane would do that cover himself. Modest, he is not.

CalvinPitt said...

kelvingreen: Another Batman/Spawn crossover? The last one wasn't traumatizing enough? (Seriously, I'd never read Miller's take on Bats before, so to hear him casually discussing how his attack was designed to paralyze Spawn was pretty jarring)

jason: I remember disliking the issue because MacFarlane made X-Force look even uglier than Liefeld, if such a thing is possible.

sallyp: I suppose so. I just kind of figured he wasn't that much of a hotshot at that point. Then again, they made that Spider-book specifically for him, so I don't know why I'd think that.

Spencer Carnage said...

You are all forgeting the important thing here: do you remember how wacked he drew the X-Force in this issue? Lame-sauce!