Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Yeah, Funny Thing About December

The weather is lousy. To wit: we had ice on the roads this morning, thus I did not brave the 40-minute drive to the comic store. I actually kind of enjoy walking in snow and ice, but driving is something I avoid unless absolutely necessary. Honestly, if I could walk everywhere I needed to go, I would enjoy winter a lot more, but 'tis not to be. So, reviews tomorrow, I think.

In the meantime, I figured I might try and determine what it was I felt was lacking from last week's Booster Gold. It was a nice issue, but something seemed to be lacking, and after a bit of deliberation, I'm pointing the finger at Skeets. That's right, j'accuse, little gold dude!

One of the things I'd grown fond of with the title was Skeets' tendency to make clever and amusing remarks. You know, he'd smack Sinestro in the noggin while proclaiming 'No man escapes me!', or finish Booster's 'If I had a dollar' with 'You'd spend it.' It made him a little Spider-Man, a little Alfred with the biting wit. This issue, he seemed more in the role of Rip Hunter to be honest. The straight man, who has to ride on herd on the goofy Booster* and Michelle, struggling to keep them on task. Skeets being on task isn't unusual, but not taking the opportunity to needle Booster doesn't seem quite right somehow.

It's not a terrible thing. The issue was still nice enough, and if they get Rip back in the mix, perhaps Skeets can loosen up a bit, but that's the best explanation I could come up with.

* Someone, I believe in the comments of Chris Sims' review post from last week, mentioned they felt Booster had taken a dramatic step backwards, character development wise. I wasn't sure about that initially, but that sudden monologue about licencing various Booster-related action figures seemed a bit out of place. The traveling to Renaissance Italy for authentic Italian cuisine I could buy, but that action figure thing did seem more old Booster.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Admittedly, Booster has had to grow up a LOT lately, but you just can't take ALL of his old characteristics out of the picture, so the action figures, were I felt perfectly within character for him.

It is interesting that without Ted around to egg him on, he's been a whole lot calmer.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: I kind of thought that when he decided to keep helping Rip after all, rather than go back to the pitchman routine he was considering during the fight in Vegas with the Royal Flush Gang, that signified he'd moved past that mindset.

Not so easily shrugged off, I suppose.