Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What I Bought 7/15/09

Another Wednesday, another comic reviewing post here at Reporting on Marvels and Legends. Marvels and Legends itself has moved to a new (old) location, right across the street. I say it's both new and old because Ken had moved the shop over to that same place for a time, before deciding to move back to the place he'd been before. Now Former Customer and Current Owner Jack has moved the store back to the place it was before. Anyway, in addition to my regular comics, I also grabbed a trade of Joe Kelly's I Kill Giants, on the strength of all the nice reviews I read. I haven't read it yet, but I'm sure I'll discuss it here when I do. Until then, comics.

Agents of Atlas #8 - Another month, another two issues of Agents of Atlas. I wonder why they're taking that tactic. I also wonder why Leinil Yu has the Hulk is rocking the Moe Howard haircut on the cover. Or would that be the "Guy Gardner, based on Ernie, General Glory's sidekick" haircut?

The Agents are continuing to check up on the Atlas Foundation's various enterprises, and today they go to check a 'biological study lab', which really means 'we kidnap drifters and combine them into creations straight out of Silent Hill games'. Unfortunately (or fortunately), their most recent drifter happened to be the Hulk, who I did not realize had resumed his aimless drifting through the world. Anway, the crew manages to placate the Hulk, and remove the scientists from their employ, while Jimmy and M-11 find out what Suwan has been up to. The answer, predictably, is not good news for them.

I'm curious to find out what the "Jade Claw" has been up to all these years. She runs an organization roughly the size of Atlas, so how has she been using it? Pagulayan's art is still pretty, though I think I'm a little disappointed his Hulk didn't look more monstrous. Could have been because of all the lab-created freaks around him though. A big green guy can look mighty tame in comparison.

Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter #2 - That's a pretty nice cover, though the amount of blood on the hammer seems out of proportion to what's around the Surfer's face. Regardless, I wonder why Patrick Zircher can't land a regular penciling gig on a nice, high-selling title. I think he's a fine artist, and his stint on Cable/Deadpool demonstrated the man can hit his deadlines.

Bill fights with the Surfer for a few pages, then learns the I'thians can put a decent fight themselves. Unfortunately, that's gone to their heads, and Bill is forced to be rather underhanded to get them to abandon their new world, since Galactus is on his way again. However, as always, actions have consequences, and it appears Odin isn't a believer in the ends justifying the means, which is bad news for everyone's favorite bio-mechanical equine Thor.

I'm really enjoying this. The internal struggle between Bill's desire to triumph through battle (which I think is fueled by desire for revenge), and his desire to protect life (which is why he really ought to be trying to stop Galactus). The Surfer being a mopey, indecisive sort, which is what he does best after all. Kano's art can appropriately convey the scope of the challenge our hero faces, and the toll it takes.

Deadpool #12 - Bullseye wakes up, which is pretty surprising considering Deadpool rammed a meat hook through his chest last month. More surprising, he wakes in a hospital he was delivered to by Deadpool. Actually, considering this is Deadpool I'm talking about, describing anything as surprising is probably a mistake. To wit: Later in the issue, Deadpool, frustrated because Bullseye has not reappeared to continue their battle, says '{4-letter expletive deleted} tacos.' At which point he vows that for making Wade hurt those he loves (the tacos) Bullseye will pay.

So the battle is (eventually) rejoined, and involves, rocket launchers, monster trucks, the threat of chainsawing, and random civilians. Oh, and Bullseye pleading for his life. Because he's a loser. Ha! Go Deadpool! Except victory be not sweet, and peace be not pleasant, or something poetic. Either way, the last page was kind of surprising, even for Deadpool.

I can't say that the stories Daniel Way's been writing have been densely plotted, but for the most part I've been entertained. They're kind of wacky, and Deadpool's thought processes are written as random enough to get a laugh. Or maybe they remind me of myself. I think the key will be to see what Way does next. The consistent theme of the first 12 issues has been Wade's quest for money (and respect). Well, he's got more money than probably even he can spend, and he kicked Bullseye's hind end, so that ought to cover respect, so what now? What's the new conflict that will challenge him?

No comments: