Monday, September 20, 2010

Two Batman Inc. Thoughts

I confess I'm not clear on how this Batman, Inc. set-up is going to work. I know there will be globe-trotting and team-ups, but what's the end result? Is Batman traveling the world and training people to be Batman in different places, or just outfitting suitable heroes with some Bat-equipment? Or is he creating a network with these heroes to keep in touch about various criminal threats? Anyway, I had two thoughts related to the idea of Batman franchising himself.

1) Can this get Cassandra Cain back in the mix? I like Stephanie Brown, I'm fine with her as Batgirl (though I'd have no problem if she remained Spoiler), but I do miss Cass. Plus, the excuse for her to dump the costume was pretty weak. She's sure Bruce was dead, so the costume doesn't mean anything? She once told Bruce the costume, and what it represented, was what she was loyal to, not Batman or her father. For her to leave it for Steph so casually felt off.

If there are going to be Batmans around the world, no reason there can't be Batgirls, too. She doesn't have to be called Batgirl, necessarily, if that's an issue. She could dust off the "Kasumi" identity from Justice League Elite. She can keep the silent, skilled fighter that strikes from shadows parts, and dump the assassin part. Or take a different name. She's already done her fair share of world-traveling, so she probably knows how to get around the streets of most any city in the world. I'd like to see Cass fighting crime throughout Europe, but send her to India, sub-Saharan Africa, Argentina, wherever.

2) The Joker's going to respond to this, isn't he? Detective Comics had a story - it might still be going, but I know it was running in August, at least - with armies of Batmen and Jokers fighting it out, but I don't think any of the participants on either side were sanctioned by the men they were imitating. Maybe the Jokers were, I'm not sure.

Still, if Batman's actively recruiting people to help extend his brand of law and order throughout the world, then the Joker really has to do something to spread chaos on an equal scale, doesn't he? I don't know whether he'd follow Batman, trying to eliminate these other heroes as he goes along, or if Mr. J would try to create his own club of like-minded individuals. Seek out people he sees some of himself in, then give them the push towards his level of madness. They won't be his equal, but I doubt the reader is expected to believe the people Batman's going to be meeting are his equal, either.

I suppose the Joker could ignore the whole thing, find it irrelevant to his ongoing struggle with Batman. He could think of them as pale imitations, not worthy of his time, but I wouldn't expect that. He's certainly never shied away from trying to kill Batman's sidekicks, if for no other reason than to rile Batsy, so he might think it a fine pursuit for that reason alone. Dismantle what Batman's building before he even completes it.

The idea of Joker doing nothing appeals to me, though. Partially because he feels overused, even to someone who hardly reads Batbooks, partially because it's not what I would expect. The latter is probably a consequence of the former, with the overuse leading me to figure the Joker will always interfere in Batman's business.

No comments: