Monday, September 27, 2010

Yes, I've Returned

I'm not as addled as usual when returning from one of these weekend jaunts. Strange considering how off my typical sleep schedule I was. Still, I'm sure waking up for work at 7 tomorrow will be loads of fun.

The weekend itself was OK, though filled with both predictable and unpredictable stupidity. There was a party in the middle of nowhere. Alex bought a keg, made back maybe half his money, and considered that fine. I was less enthused since a bump caused the bucket to spill ice and water in the back of my vehicle, and I was sprayed with beer while he tried to tap the keg. Plus he lost the new phone he'd received as a replacement for his last one four days earlier, one of those predictable acts I mentioned. The disorganization of the party with regards to the DJ schedule and who was bringing equipment was similarly unsurprising to me. We reached his home to find ourselves locked out by his sister, whether because she's an idiot or an ass, I don't know. Probably both. I ended up entering through a window, then Alex passed out on the floor, leaving me to haul everything in. The urge to drop the keg on his head was fortunately not overwhelming.

We visited his coworker's home again, at her request, and like the time back in July, she started arguing with her spouse while we were there, making me desperately want to be elsewhere. The visit to his aunt and uncle's place went better; no one gave me grief for not wanting an alcoholic beverage. We played a card game called Quarters that netted me a couple of bucks, and played several rounds of pool, though every game was won when one team scratched while trying to sink the 8-ball. Victory by default. I played my usual sorry game, interrupted by occasional impressive shots I'd like to say I planned, but were luck.

Sunday, I was reminded Alex and I have very different philosophies on life. His is "No regrets"; mine is "There's no mistake so far in the past I can't still beat myself up over it". His is probably more conducive to a happy life, but I think it explains why he makes the same mistakes repeatedly, as I think he's combined not regretting past choices with not learning from them. Speaking of poor choices, we both ate far too many White Castle burgers yesterday, which I've been regretting all day. I think Alex got most of his regretting over last night, so perhaps he does regret, but only for a limited time. I don't think I'll be wanting any of those for several months, so that's something.

Driving back this morning, had a truck with a camper on it, that was also hauling a trailer, cut in front of me at a turn. Why they were in such a hurry to get on that road I'm not certain. They drove no faster than 40, when the speed limit was 55. If they'd let me go ahead of them, I would have left them in the dust easily, leaving them free to drive the speed they liked. Instead I was trapped behind them for several miles until I found a passing opportunity. Which lead to me being trapped behind another truck hauling a trailer, albeit at a slightly faster speed (more like 45). The problem with this one was a tendency to take its half out of the middle of the road, especially in straightaways. When I went to pass, I had to wait for them to register that, and get back in the proper lane, rather than having their driver's side three feet into the oncoming lane.

Regardless of the annoyances that come with sharing a world with other people, I'm here. My comics weren't waiting for me, so I may need to call Jack. I thought we sorted this out last week, but apparently we did not. We'll find something to discuss to fill the time, so don't worry about that.

No comments: