Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm Sure We've Discussed Endings Before, But. . .

How much does the ending of a story matter to your enjoyment of it? A good ending on top of a good story is a plus. I don't think a good ending can salvage a story if the beginning and middle didn't interest you. if what's come before didn't make me care about the characters, or the stakes, then it's unlikely the ending will have any impact, assuming I haven't given up on the story already.

What about when you really enjoy the story, then feel like the ending fumbled? As you might guess, this relates to Thanos Imperative. I'd been loving it for the first five issues. The interplay between the characters, the raising of the stakes, the surprises, some of the ideas being thrown out, I was having a great time. I wouldn't place it on par with Annihilation, but it was on par with Annihilation: Conquest, maybe even a little better*.

Then the last issue came out, and I already detailed my dissatisfaction with that on Saturday. I still like the first five issues, but the ending's taken some of the shine off. Still, I'm not sure my dissatisfaction is largely with how the ending leads into future stories, rather than strictly judging it as the end of that particular story if I look at it that way, it fares a little better, though there are still some internal inconsistencies that irritate me.

I'm sure the old saw about the journey being more important than the destination could be dusted off here, and it's probably apt. Even though where I wound up was a dud, the trip getting there was fun, so I should take what I can from that**.

* Conquest had some outstanding mini-series leading to it, Giffen and Timothy Green's Star-Lord one in particular, while Thanos Imperative had Ignition, and that's it until Devastation comes out. Overall, Conquest was better, but judging strictly by the main event, it's closer.

** I've never successfully applied this to actual traveling. If the place I visit is a letdown, I always wind up wishing I hadn't bothered. traveling does cost more in time and money than reading does, though.

3 comments:

Matt said...

For me, the ending is everything. It's that taste you have in your mouth and generally the one thing you remember about a series when it's over.

I think of anything by Bendis. He always has TONS of great ideas when he starts a story, but inevitable fumbles the ending leaving me to bitch and moan about all of his books. House of M, Ultimate Carnage, Siege, etc. etc. He does it time and again.

So for me, while the journey can be a good time, unless they really stick that ending I can't call it a great book.

Nick Leshi said...

The ending is super important. And it's so hard to get right.

Excellent post.

Rol said...

I'm more likely to forgive a weak ending if the rest of the story has been well told. Although a really bad ending can ruin the whole thing for me and leave a really sour taste.