Tuesday, January 04, 2011

A Belated Happy New Year

I am back two days earlier than you might have expected, though. Having spent a week in both scenarios recently, I can say that I would rather stay in a house with 7 dogs than one with a single baby. It's easier to discern why a dog is barking, and to convince it to stop, than it is to make a baby stop bawling. Then again, I don't feel comfortable around babies like I do around dogs, which is part of it*.

My New Year's was fine, hopefully yours was as well. I was at Alex', less than an hour north of some of those tornadoes that decided to rearrange St. Louis. We went to a party at Papafred and Tomato's house, which was only a few blocks away from some serious tornado damage, but was itself unharmed. it was supposed to be a night of drinking and board games, but it wound up a night of drinking and talking. We never got ourselves organized enough to play anything. Everyone still had a good time, except perhaps the other designated drivers, since the assembled always bring many intriguing alcoholic beverages. It doesn't bother me, since I can't stand the taste of any liquor, but for those who enjoy it, probably more frustrating.

I didn't watch anything new while I was at Alex, except the last five episodes of Ninja Scroll The Series. I didn't dislike the ending as much as Alex, though I didn't love it. I need to think it over some more, but the issues I had were ones I had with the series throughout. We actually watched a lot of Burn Notice, since I brought Season 1 along, the bought Season 2 for Alex yesterday (we watched two-thirds of it last night). It's fun to watch a series with someone you haven't watched it with before.

The last night I was at my dad's we did watch the Russell Crowe Robin Hood movie. For some reason, Dad owns two copies, which came in handy when the first copy started futzing up right as the big fight in Nottingham kicked off. Honestly, by that point I was ready to call it a night, because the movie had not been engrossing whatsoever. There were scenes, mostly the humorously antagonistic parts between Marian and Robin Longstride. Dad really had it out for Godfrey for some reason, and sure, since he was a turncoat I didn't object to his end, but John was the one I wanted to see drop. Dad also wasn't particularly thrilled with the accuracy of Richard the Lionhearted's death, but I don't think this movie will be one of his favorite wildly inaccurate films about these figures, the way Villa Rides was about Pancho Villa. I don't believe Dad's much of a fan of Ridley Scott's style. His comment during the fight on the beach that these big action pieces are what Scott's good at, so long as he doesn't have to string together a plot was a pretty strong clue.

Like I said, I wasn't really engaged with the film, as I'd have just as readily gone to bed or finished the book I was reading, rather than watch. It was better than the Costner Robin Hood, but I don't think I'd rank it near the Errol Flynn version**, maybe not even Robin Hood: Men in Tights (which I rewatched yesterday). Actually, I think my favorite Robin Hood version is probably the Disney animated one. It hits the beats I like in a Robin Hood film, which I think this new version purposefully eschewed, and doesn't waste much time in doing so. Held up better than Men In Tights, that's for sure. Admittedly, that's not to be taken seriously, but it touches on many of the same beats, as well. I can understand that the folks behind this new version may have wanted to do things differently, to distinguish their version from all the others, but it makes it feel less like a Robin Hood movie. Again, I think their point was to show how he gets to where most of the stories start, but it didn't work well for me.

I wasn't expecting comics on Wednesday this week. I thought for sure they'd be pushed back until Thursday with New Year's and all, but apparently not. If I'd known that, I'd have waited until tomorrow to come back, pick them up on the way. No help for it now.

* I think that makes me evil. I once said Jessica Drew wanting nothing to do with Luke and Jessica Jones' baby in New Avengers Annual #1 was a sure sign she was evil. Seeing as that was Skrull Queen Jessica Drew, I was absolutely correct. Doesn't bode well for me. Hmm, which is my chin so bumpy? Oh wait, I haven't shaved recently. False alarm.

** I watched that with Dad years ago. We had a disagreement about Robin's fight with Sir Guy. I argued when Robin knocked Sir Guy's sword from his hands, that was the time to run him through, rather than letting him reclaim his sword, fight some more, then run him through. Dad countered that wouldn't have been considered honorable at the time, but my contention is they're swordfighting. The better swordsman ought to win, and if one can knock the other's sword from his hand, well point to that guy. He demonstrated superior skill, he wins, other guy dies.

2 comments:

Rol said...

Happy New Year, Calvin - looking forward to reading more reviews of comics I'll eventually read in trade pbk 18 months later (by which time I'll have forgotten any spoilers).

CalvinPitt said...

rol: That sounds like an excellent plan. Happy New Year.