Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I Hadn't Planned To Post Exclusively About Older Moives

I figured I'd discuss the Burn Notice season finale at some point, but here we are. Dad ordered some old Bogart tapes, which arrived yesterday, so it was Sahara, then To Have and Have Not. Dad said the latter was an attempt to cash in on the success of Casablanca. The film was a cash-in attempt, not Hemingway's novel. I thought it was funny that one of the screenplay writers for To Have and Have Not was William Faulkner.

Surprisingly, my dad said he actually prefers To Have and Have Not to Casablanca, for a couple of reasons he felt I'd be able to figure out. I have my suspicions (Lauren Bacall, Walter Brennan) but he fell asleep while we were watching it, so I didn't get around to asking him. He did admit Have Not suffers for a lack of Claude Rains, but I imagine that's something most movies without Claude Rains can say.

I thought it was interesting I figured out To Have and Have Not was directed by the same man as Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks) strictly because the arguments Bacall and Bogart had seemed so similar to those John Wayne and Angie Dickinson had. Mostly it was how Bogart mentioned that he was making Bacall sore, after she had made a similar comment about her effect on him earlier. It reminded me of Dickenson commenting on how she made the sheriff mad, or how he would say things that made her angry. In all the cases, what people were being made sore or angry by were seemingly innocent or even well-meaning comments or actions, so it felt familiar.

This is the last post until after the New Year. I don't know when precisely the next post will be. Thursday of next week at the absolute latest.

No comments: