Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Back Around To The Beginning, Again

It's the end of Year 5 here at Reporting on Marvels and Legends. Just a couple of days after Diamondrock wrapped up five years at Title Undetermined. I usually credit Kalinara as the one who started a blog about a week before I did, and that it was seeing she'd just started one that made me figure I could, too. But it's worth mentioning Diamondrock and Ragnell also started up around the same time (well, Ragnell had been going for 3 months already, but close enough), so they probably deserve some credit/blame.

I didn't manage to post as much as I did last year. I spent too much time traveling in the spring, couldn't rattle off 129 consecutive days with a post like last year. Pretty sure I'm on my longest consecutive stretch of the year right now, and it's going to be broken here in the next day or two. I've considered trying to set some posts up ahead of time, but it's not really my style. Plus, I kind of like not always being sure where a post is going - or even what it's about - until I start it.

I guess the biggest change has been that a couple of months ago, I decided to drop the Adorable Baby Panda comic review posts. Originally, it was an attempt to find a positive in Civil War #4. Then it became an easy way to generate content. I had two guaranteed posts every week: the basic review post, and ABP's review. This year it started to feel like more effort than it was worth. There's really only so many "Odd Couple" style situational jokes and bickering I can force myself to pump out, you know. Four years is a pretty good run. For the time being at least, ABP (though it should probably be Adorable Juvenile Panda after 4 years) is taking a break. The squab needs to concentrate on school, anyway. I'm trying to work on some actual stories to have ABP/AJP star in. Hopefully I'll manage to put a few of those out in Year 6, and maybe some other stories as well.

The other idea I've been considering is doing episode reviews of stuff I have on DVD. Kind of how Siskoid did reviews of all the episodes of the various Star Trek series. I'm not thinking of it as an every day thing, maybe one episode a week. Or maybe whenever inspiration runs dry. I think the American stuff alone, there's enough episodes for 10 months of nothing but daily episode posts. Anime would probably cover another 200 days (though considering the cultural references I'd probably miss, it might not be worth the trouble). Again, not planning to do it every day, just noting there's some room to work. I'm trying to decide what would be the common threads of the posts, beyond stuff like plot synopsis and actor information. Maybe funny quotes, a kiss tally for Bruce Campbell on The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. perhaps.

I don't have much else to say, except thanks for reading (and commenting, if you do), and I don't see myself stopping in the near future. Of course, the universe might have something to say about it, but hopefully the universe is cool with me continuing to blog.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Happy anniversary Calvin! Here's to the next five!

SallyP said...

Five Years! Happy Anniversary!