Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Still More Westerns

This morning, my dad came across Villa Rides, and was annoyed because it had already been going for a half hour. He'd been meaning to watch it, but kept missing it. He described it as one of his favorite wildly historically inaccurate movies about Pancho Villa. One wonders how large a category that is.

It has Yul Brynner as Pancho Villa, who is one of those actors I've heard of, but I've never watched a movie he starred in the whole way through, which includes Villa Rides, because we had to leave about the time Pancho escaped the firing squad. Now Charles Bronson (as Rodolfo Fierro), I recognized immediately. I mean I recognized Bronson, not that I recognized who he was playing. The little bit I heard him speak, I thought his accent was the same as the one he sported in The Great Escape. Maybe it's just that particular cadence Bronson has to his speech.

I wouldn't mind seeing the movie the whole way through.

Right now, we're wtaching Cheyenne Social Club, the stirring tale of two cattle drivers (Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda) who travel to Cheyenne because Stewart's brother died and left him a business. Hilarity ensues, though at this moment, Stewart's in the midst of a bar brawl. My dad kind of spoiled it, but I was curious if we'd learn why Fonda has followed Stewart for the last decade, without question. I figured, given some of fonda's comments once they reached Cheyenne, that it was because Fonda had simply recognized something in Stewart that made him worth following. Apparently not.

No comments: