Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Purely For Insult Research

It wasn't my plan to go five days without posting. I'm at Alex', but since I brought my computer I figured I could keep banging out posts. Then Alex couldn't remember the password so I could connect to his network. He'd saved it on his phone, but he goes through phones like I go through tissues during allergy season, and it's rare that everything on the busted phone can be transferred to the new one. Alex' laptop has some sort of bug where I could type a post, save it, but couldn't publish it. The downside is, no posts the last five days. The upside is, I kept trying, so I have three more days' worth of posts ready to go. I know you probably didn't care, but I strive for daily content here, and failing that, to at least let you know ahead of time when there won't be.

OK, explanation finished. Moving on.

What would you say is the typical alcoholic beverage of elderly southern ladies who belong to a garden club?

I ask because there was a little festival down here recently, and the garden club hands out awads for best presentation or whatever. Every year the same people win (this also happens at Christmas) regardless of how much or how little effort someone made. I'm not actually much of a decorator, but the cool kids only aspect of the awards irks me. So I derisively described them as a bunch of old biddys sitting around playing canasta, smoking cigarettes and drinking Tom Collins, but I have no idea if they'd actually drink a Tom Collins (I know doodley-squat about alcohol).

Mint juleps seems too obvious, plus I'm not sure we're far enough south. Maybe it would just be gin?

2 comments:

Matthew said...

My hopes of shouting 'oooh, oooh, mint juleps!' having been dashed, I would concur that the ladies may well gravitate towards that seemingly-universal older person's drink, the G&T.

CalvinPitt said...

Matthew: Well, the juleps may be the best choice, I'm just not sure if we're south enough. I had it figured for straight gin, but you're probably right that they'd drink it with something.