Monday, September 12, 2011

What I Bought 9/9/2011 - Part 2

Back to reviews. I just noticed that Marvel seems to have gone down to 20 pages. 21 if you count the recap page. At least, that was what I counted for Avengers Academy 18 and Daredevil 2, as well as one of the three books we're going to look at today. I'm sure that's been reflected in solicitations for awhile, but I rarely pay attention to how many pages they say there'll be, since they include the ads in the page total. Why was I counting pages? I'm trying to keep track of artist output in the books I buy. It's for the Year in Review posts.

Darkwing Duck #15 - I see Darkwing's campaigning on the baseball platform (an out-of-date stance, with the rise in popularity of American football), while Launchpad is sticking firm to his pro-pie stance (always a safe position). Where's the candidate that will speak up on moms, though?

Darkwing's splitting his time between fighting more new villains, and pulling his hair, er, feathers out over the success of Launchpad's mayoral campaign. Rather than talk to Launchpad about why he's running against him, Darkwing opts to visit a "communications strategist", and shortly thereafter launches a negative ad barrage at Launchpad. Which is matched by his former sidekick, who saw the same "communications strategist". Once the two sort this out, they go to confront Constance Denton, only to find themselves under attack from Suff-Rage and the League of Barely Remembered Super-Villains.

I admit to being a little confused. The "communications strategist" is clearly evil, and works for/with Constance, so I figured she was behind the rash of new villains. But the angry mob at the end have the strange ink that controlled the heroes on their fingers, so maybe it was all Suff-Rage. But Constance's initials are C.A.D. Maybe this is a Typhoid Mary situation? Brill does seem to be putting a point he hinted at in an earlier storyline into play now, which is nice. I don't have anything new to say about Silvani's art. I did really like the page where Darwking explains what he plans to do with the mayor's power. He made Darkwing look very intense, and a bit scary, then melancholy in the next panel.

Fear Itself: Fearsome Four #3 - Dang, Jack keeps remembering I ordered this. At least he forgot about Secret Seven.

The New Fantastic Four show up, and attack the Fearsome Four, because they stand between the guys and Man-Thing. Psycho-Man may be involved. That's most of the issue. The Fearsome Four gaining an advantage, the the Fantastic Four turning it around, then Howard uses the doohickey he's been pulling out and staring at on Psycho-Man. Then he tries to use it on Man-Thing, but it won't work.

OK, here's what I don't understand. I thought the Nexus of All Realities was in Florida, and Man-Thing guarded it. But with the way he warped reality last issue, and apparently brought this Fantastic Four here, it seems more likely the Nexus is within him. Or he is the Nexus. Something like that. Maybe Montclare explained that in the first issue. I also don't get what's going on with Nighthawk. is he angry purposefully, or is it being done to him somehow? And what's with She-Hulk getting pummeled by Mr. Fixit Hulk? I thought Jen was strong enough these days she could pummel what's just about the smallest, weakest Hulk there is. Maybe it's more fear stuff.

Ray-Anthony Height did the pencils for most of the book, though Tom Grummett did the layouts. It's fine. They brought in Henry Flint to draw three pages when She-Hulk's been knocked well clear of the battle and tries to save some people, only to be pelted by the typical fearful morons who inhabit the Marvel Universe. You're mad the Thing smashed your neighborhood? Fine. Show some damn common sense and don't piss off the large green lady who's holding a full water tower over her heads, you imbeciles. I'm not sure why that sequence needed a different artist, except that it's the only one that doesn't take place in that park.

Wolverine and the Black Cat Claws #2 - That's not a bad cover, with the Martian walker looming in the background. Well, I wish Felicia was zipped up a little more, but most artists draw her costumes like that these days, so I can't single out Linsner.

The title characters run and hide with Killraven's band. Then they try and infiltrate a Martian base to save some of Killraven's friends. Various monsters and traps are encountered, the heroes are captured, and are going to be transported to Mars.

I find it weird when certain characters don't use contractions in their speech. I mentioned it on Sally's blog when she reviewed the first issue of the new JLI, but it comes up here, as some of Wolverine's dialogue sounds very strange in my head. 'You are inspiring and giving hope. I respect that. I suggest we pick up the pace at this point then. . .' Mostly the first two sentences. I can believe Logan saying something to that effect, but it's rather formal. I suppose he could have learned a more formal manner of speaking, for hanging out with Mariko (or it's something left over form his childhood memories), but this doesn't seem the place.

Beyond that, I didn't really care for Felicia leaping into Logan's arms at one point. Not that she wouldn't get to high ground away from the things that were crawling about, or use Logan to do so, again it was the way it happened. Very graceless and panicky. I don't know, I'm kind of regretting this, as I was hoping for more Arcade. I am curious how they're going to reach a suitable conclusion in one issue from this point, with the good guys imprisoned in the future, so they have to deal with that before they can even begin worrying about Arcade or the White Rabbit.

Tomorrow's going to be focused on the pulp - or pulp inspired - heroes.

No comments: