Thursday, January 22, 2015

Can You Feel The Indifference, The Apathy?

Soooooooooo, who's excited for Secret Wars?

Wait, where are you going? It's going to change everything!

Oh, you've heard that before? Lots of times? But they really mean it this time! For real!

Ech, I can't even continue this half-assed attempt to pretend to care. Which, frankly, is Marvel's fault.
Even beyond all the nonsense about "changing everything" they've broken out 2-3 times a year for the last decade, there's no reason to care. The creative teams do whatever they want, whether it matches up with prior continuity, or even what some other creative team is doing at the exact same time. Everything is constantly changing anyway, and I'm sure if some writer - Bendis, most likely - doesn't like something that gets put in place after all this, he'll just ignore it and do what he wants.

That's not entirely a bad thing. I've been glad there are books I can read which completely ignore whatever stupid bullcrap is going on in other books. I much prefer dismissing things I think are bad to raging about them here. Even if I still can't entirely shake my "that's out of character!" impulse at times. Thing is, once I'm conditioned to stop caring about the line as a whole, to stop expecting developments in one area of the shared universe to be reflected in relevant places elsewhere, and I've been convinced it's a good thing (because I think the guys with the most power are schmucks), surprise! I stop caring about your latest attempt to shatter your universe.

My only concern is whether this is going to mess up the books I like. Granted, several of those books seem to be ending, but for the few that remain, are they going to get sucked in? Or will they be allowed to just go on doing their thing (which hopefully won't involve tying in)? Or is it going to be like DC with Convergence, where the ongoings are on hiatus until this is over, and we get a bunch of mini-series about the different sections of Battleworld? That would certainly do my wallet some good (I'm just going to assume that the majority of the mini-series would fall under my previously mentioned "stupid bullcrap" category).

3 comments:

SallyP said...

It's as though they just can't help themselves. In their attempts to one-up each other, Marvel and DC seem to be racing each other to see how ridiculous things can get. Actually telling good stories with good artists about much-beloved and iconic characters, seems to be beyond their collective comprehension.

*sigh*

CalvinPitt said...

I'm sure Marvel would argue the Big Event stuff sells better, but I wonder if the stuff like Hawkeye and Daredevil, the Marvel NOW stuff, has a better lifespan in the bookstore/trade collection market.

SallyP said...

I would suspect the latter. I cannot imagine anyone actually going back and re-reading crap like civil war... for fun!