Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Summer Manga-thon

I'm still not seeing a lot of stuff I want to get in the June solicits, but there were at least several manga series with new volumes I might get (eventually.) DC continues to get shut out, and while I can appreciate they've dialed back their line, in contrast to Marvel's bloat, where it feels like it takes five minutes to scroll past the Star Wars stuff, it'd be nice if there was at least something I was interested in.

Meanwhile, Marvel's in the middle of this Blood Hunt thing, and I think I might skip Fantastic Four and Vengeance of the Moon Knight, since both books are doing tie-in issues.

What's coming out that's new? Look, I will not be buying this, but figured I would mention Winnie the Pooh: Demon Hunter, a 4-issue mini-series coming out through Antarctic Press. Make whatever preparations you feel appropriate for that event, whether it's setting aside money to buy it, or setting aside money for an apocalypse bunker.

Fairsquare Comics has Tunis to Sydney, written by Meriam and Christian Carnouche, with Sam Rapley as artist, about a woman returning home after the deaths of her parents, and unpacking emotional baggage around that.

Humanoids has Cyn, a graphic novel by Ibrahim Moustafa about former cyborg enforcer trying to find peace. Joanne Starer and Diego Greco also have Total Suplex of the Heart, about a journalist joining a wrestling club, but getting swept up in drama. I haven't really loved the stuff I've picked up from Humanoids, but it's always different writers and artists, so I keep trying.

What's ending this month? Three Marvel minis: Jackpot and Black Cat, Black Widow and Hawkeye, and Ms. Marvel: Mutant Menace. Which isn't great news for Marvel. That's half the stuff I might buy in June. Three-quarters if I do avoid the event tie-ins. Maybe they'll come up with something in July.

What's that leave? Like I said, there's several manga in the solicits. Volume 6 of No Longer Allowed in Another World (Seven Seas), and volume 7 of The Boxer (Ize Press). Also volume 15 of that deluxe edition of Soul Eater (Square Enix Manga), and the second volume of Momo Legendary Warrior (via Alien Books). I called it My Name is Shingo Perfect when the first volume was solicited, but it's actually just My Name is Shingo, but a perfect edition, and now the second volume is being solicited by Viz Media.

I haven't seen Shingo or Momo yet, so I don't know if I'd pick them up, and I have my doubts about ever catching up on Soul Eater, but this helps me keep them in mind, at least.

As far as single issues, a trio of third issues. Deadpool, Blow Away, Morning Star. Blood and Fire is on issue 2, while Rogues will be on issue 4. Although I'm a little concerned about Scout Comics. There were a couple of things solicited for this month that never showed. I'm still waiting for the last issue of Space Outlaw. Come on, already!

No comments: