Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Book Week Collapses in Exhaustion!

As we cross the finish line. I'm sure you're so excited you could just plotz, whatever that means. But why is Book Week ending, you ask, afraid of the answer? Well, for one, I've got six comics coming in tomorrow, and hopefully at least a few of them will fire up my creative centers, or at least raise some questions. Secondly. . . I've finished the books my dad loaned me. So there you go.

Today's author is an old favorite of mine, he's not very well known, but if you're well0read enough you may have heard of Stephen King. No? That's OK. The particular book is Cell. It's like taking The Stand, plus War of the Worlds, plus the underlying message on humanity from 28 Days Later, plus a book I read years ago called The Day the Tripods Came. Or The Day of the Tripods, I can't recall, it wasn't very good.

Anyway, cell phones spell the end of the the world, or at least civilization as we know it. People talking on phones become insane. Well, that's no surprise. They talk on those things while driving, obviously they're crazy. The story follows three characters as they try to get from Boston to Maine because one of the characters has to make sure his son and ex-wife are OK. Well, the son anyway, he's a bit ambivalent towards the ex-wife. This little quest gets aided by his companions either having no loved ones, or being completely certain said loved are already dead. Along the way, they begin to notice that the "phone crazies" are exhibiiting strange behavior. Moving in flocks, sleeping in giant collections at night, and listening to music. Given these "people" have no real problem with killing those who aren't in their condition, the heroes have no problem with setting two full gasoline trucks in the middle of the soccer field a mass uses for sleeping and blowing them to hell. Fortunately, the crazies lack higher cognitive functions, and either don't recognize gasoline trucks, or think nothing of the fact that they've appeared there since the crazies went to forage that morning. But striking at them carries it's own problems.

A couple of issues I have with this book. The theory initially expressed for what's going on never gets much improved upon, which was difficult because I kept waiting for the true explanation, like a punchline that never came. I mean, I guess the given hypothesis works as well as any, but it just felt silly, given who was argued to be behind the whole thing.

The second problem is I never felt any real connection with the characters. This is very important for me, whether I'm watching TV, or movies, reading books, or comics, I want to feel something towards the characters. Hatred, derision, concern, admiration, something. I can't recall ever really getting that feeling from this book, probably because the characters aren't very fleshed out. Clay wants to get home to his family. he's an artist and he just got an agreement to publish his Dark Wanderer series as graphic novels (wink, wink). Tom has a cat he loves dearly, grew up in a very religious family, and likes guys. Alice, took karate, soccer, killed her phone-crazy mother, and keeps a baby-sized Nike she found (no the foot wasn't in it) as sort of a stress release device. The others we meet along the way don't get even that much fleshing out. Thus, even when two characters take their own lives, and two more get killed in revenge, it had no effect.

Honestly, it feels like King had a larger novel planned, and then pared it way down, removing much of the character development, whether through conversation, action, or internal monologue, that would have made me care more. I mean It felt like a long book when I first read it, but damn it, I cared about those kids, and I wanted them to make it out OK. There's no real sense of that here.

Of course, he left the ending somewhat open, so maybe he's got a follow up planned. Or maybe he just felt a little ragged after wrapping up The Dark Tower series, which I could understand. Still, kind of a disappointing read.

3 comments:

Centurion said...

The Tripod trilogy was a great series. I read it as a kid.

Did you know they made a BBC series based on it in the 80s? Pretty good effects for back then, but now it looks pretty cheesy.

Rumor has it the book may turn into movies ala War of the Worlds, minus Cruise.

CalvinPitt said...

centurion: So it WAS a trilogy. I kind of figured the first one was open-ended. I think what confused me in 4th grade was the tripods used subliminal messages (didn't they I seem to remember there was a TV show that mocked them, but people were gung-ho about HAVING to watch it), and I don't think at the time I totally understood that.

I think the BBC can make just about anything into a good series. Whether Hollywood could make it into good movies, who knows?

Centurion said...

I just looked up the books, and apparently there were four books.

1)When the Tripods Came
2)The White Mountains
3)The City of Gold and Lead
4)The Pool of Fire

They all blurred together in my memory, been a long time since I read them.

The main thing controlling most of the population were those creepy black helmet that were grafted to the skulls of people. Basically, their higher brain functions were blocked so they'd follow just about anything.

I think that part really freaked me out as a kid. That, and the way they disguised themselves among the population was using helmets from dead people.