Friday, July 28, 2006

Will You Be My Pal?

Let's cut to the chase, shall we?

The question for the day is: What character(s) of the comic book universes do you feel is someone you could actually be friends with? This would assume you could put aside any human biases related to their being an alien, or being very different looking, or the fact you might be getting pumpkin bombs thrown at you by a man on a rocket glider, what character do you think you'd find yourself doing the things you do with your actual friends. Or doing things you wish you'd do with your actually firends? Get your minds out of the gutter! I mean like stuff they won't do because it's too dangerous! Base-jumping or something! Geez, you pervs. . .

I'm not going to pick Spider-Man, because, well, he's not allowed to have friends who aren't super-heroes. Given the circumstances of his life right now, that's probably wise. So I'm gonna pick Nightcrawler.

In a lot of ways, Kurt Wagner reminds me of my friend Alex. Kurt's sense of humor could use a little work, but he can get off a good line every once in awhile. He's usually in pretty high spirits, but he can fall into the doldrums if he starts to think of his lot in life too much. I've got some practice getting my friends to cheer up, and feel like everything's gonna be OK, so I'm used to it. And cheering them up cheers me up. Kurt's got the style with the ladies that, if nothing else is fun to watch, and I could probably stand to pick up a few pointers from him. He likes to shoot pool. He doesn't try to push his religion on people, and I've matured to the point where I don't antagonize people for being religious (a real problem of mine in high school), so I might actually be able to have some decent theological discussions with him, and learn a few things, without being an ass.

Besides, Kurt speaks German, and I wouldn't mind being able to keep mine in practice.

OK, that's it for me. I'm taking off for a week. Yes, again. Unless something unexpected happens, I'll be back next Friday, letting you know about what I buy next week.

So what are your choices for people to go out and hit the town with?

Auf Wiedersehen!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, EASY! Hawkeye!

- BlackRivil.

Anonymous said...

off the subject.sorry

i rembered one of you recent post in it you were tyring to make sence of the whole xorn thing in new avengers 20...i think i may have it figured out and since i have ben poping up all over your blog id thought it would be nice if i offered my theorey.
please bare with me i know my grammar is horrible and my speeling is worse than a morts costume.

house of m ..mutants lose powers.
all those mutant powers/energies were let loosed and they formed a collective in "micheal" (why it wasnt bishop or one of the power pack kids..or erg? i have no clue) so michael the post man gets them.
he goes to genosha to find magneto.

in issue 18 and 19 we get alist of mutants that michale has the power of. in issue 20..the collective finds magneto.

ok the collective ill call TC for short...the tc went to magneto...xorn was the most powerful of the mutants on the list psi wise so im guessing when he died he was transformed into energy or his spirt(whatever after life thing you want to use) was sent out to the cosmos..on the way there some how all the mutant energies formed and went to maichael..xorn bein so powerful ..his mind was the domiminant mind.

tc goes to magneto stating "we tried doing it without you".."we need you ..you and your perfect mind"

what i got from this ..is..
if you read the list most of the mutants who lost powers were evil..maybe some residue of thier memories merged with the tc.
tc wanted magneto to bring mutants thier world..well some of the mutants on the list were also in house of m..the world for mutants made by magneto...so he (xorn) tried it with out magneto (grants run) and it didnt work hence the "we tried with out you " line. the need magneto to lead the mutants.

the zoombies. the reaper and danile moonstar (shes even half valkie) can axess the dead..tc used those powers to reanimate the dead to fight because "eric needs an army" but before he could raise the army ..quake drops a quake in magnetos head..he falls ...some of energies (im saying some since michale was shown still have axsses to some powers of tc)are put in a force field and sentry tosses it into the sun..since xorn had a mind or consiousness thats what we saw in the sun when sentry tossed the energies into the sun.

of course magneto isnt dead since a few of the mutants powers he took in had healing powers..(ex:wildchild) so hes not dead. and he may have more than just magnetic powers.

yeah or nay?

gabesummers

Marc Burkhardt said...

I have a number of platonic female friends, so it's likely the same would hold true in the comix universe.

I'd probably hang out with the PAD Linda Danvers, who always seemed down to earth once she got that whole "satanic cult" stuff out of her system...

Brandon Bragg said...

Madman, and Bibbo from the Superman titles. Cause I like to drink and It'd be great to punch some mutant beatniks.

Anonymous said...

Power Girl. Something about recent writing has really had her come off like a Real Live Girl instead of a hero stand-in or 2D chick in tights. Not too lofty, a little lost, a killer arm wrestler.

Jake said...

I could see myself getting along with Yorick from Y: The Last Man for a while, until he started his pussywhipped whining about his girlfriend, Beth.

Otherwise, I don't think they make many comics about the type of people I want to be friends with. It's hard to write exciting stories about guys who just want to sit on the couch and watch Tivo.

Anonymous said...

Hm...a lot of heavily-PAD-written characters would be fun to hang out with.

I doubt I'd be friends with people like Nightcrawler, sadly based on their appereance. I mean, wouldn't someone like the Thing freak you out in real life?

frank said...

Deadpool, I like to hang out with guys who make me laugh. Second choice is: If he gets hot chicks and I hang out with him--sorry....

googum said...

Oh, I can't believe it took me that long to remember: barring Nightcrawler, I'd hang out with Hercules--the Marvel version. Until I got old and my liver fell out...

Devon Sanders said...

I hate to say it but my best friend is a bit of a Kyle Rayner.

Hasn't worked an honest day's work in nearly a decade,women love him and is full of impractical ideas and is genuinely the kindest person I've ever known.

Doc Nebula said...

Friends? I don't know. Seems like anybody could hang with Steve Rogers, at least, when Stern was writing him. However, in my many fan fic stories in which I get to be a Silver Age Avenger, Cap and I don't get along at all... I think a moral paragon who is never wrong about anything would get real old, real quick, if you had to cohabit with him 24/7, plus take orders from him.

Actually, I always kind of thought I couild hang with the Vision. He seems pretty cool to me. I'll bet he's really good at HeroClix.

In the DC Universe, I'm pretty sure I could get along well with Chuck Taine, but I'd always be trying to steal Luornu for myself, so, maybe not.

Back at Marvel, Wonder Man also seems cool, as does the Beast. And Cyclops might be fun to hang with on occasion. Danny Rand would be a grin. Tigra... Crystal... yeah, I could hang with those guys.

In the Indy universes, Hellboy seems kind of cool to me, if they'd let him out on a weekend pass.

Derek said...

I'd have to say Vic Sage.

My friends and I always have long discussions about philosophy, ethics, truth, that sort of thing. A conspiricy theorist heavily into Eastern philosophy would fit right in.

Plus, the man speaks more like Lewis Carroll character than the Mad Hatter. Gotta love that.