Thursday, April 23, 2009

Where Are My Dinosaurs Who Eat Green People?

So this July marks the one-year mark since Johns and Katz left Booster Gold. Now, this might be a bit premature, but we have seen the solicitations up through then, so I'd like to ask: Where is my Brainiac 5-Eating Tyrannosaur? The Booster Gold 1 Million issue that concluded Johns and Katz' tenures on the book had one of those nifty little pages with the previews of what was to come.

I can't remember all of the glimpses we got (and I don't have the issue handy), but I know there was a scene of Robin wanting to know who it was that was dressed up as Batgirl, and we had that one, at least sort of.

There was one of Cyborg Superman proclaiming this would be the day Booster Gold died, which, nope haven't seen that. That one might be coming, though, with the "Day of Death" story, I get the feeling Booster's going to be running around having to prevent deaths, and maybe he has to stop Hank Henshaw from re-killing Superman during that whole story from the end of the Reign of the Supermen. Or maybe it's a Blackest Night tie-in*?

Then there was Booster and Brainy fleeing a T-Rex, with Booster saying he was getting sick of the carnivore. I thought for sure we were getting that during the Dixon 2-parter, because when Alfred shot Rip and he fell back into the Time Sphere, didn't it zip him off to the Mesozoic Era? I figured with Rip unavailable, Booster would have to find another big brain to guide him and they don't get much bigger than Brainiac-5.

Or, Brainiac 5 would have come looking for Rip, since Rip had Daniel sucker-punch Brainy so they could steal a Time-Sphere. Sure, Brainiac-5 is a highly intelligent fellow and would probably recognize that there was an important reason for Rip to do that, but still. Most people are going to be a little annoyed if someone shows up in their lab and essentially mugs them. Thus, Brainiac-5 might come seeking answers, and if he wants them, well Booster doesn't know what happened, but if the Green Genius will help him find Rip, voila, answers for everyone!

I guess they'll get around to it eventually. Maybe. I hope.

* Though what side would Henshaw land on in that? He was in the Sinestro Corps, but he wants to die, and they didn't come through for him on that score, so would he try another side? Not the Black Lanterns, surely, since they seem to be making people undead. How about the Orange ones, since they're about the greed and Henshaw is primarily concerned only with ending his own life, and doing whatever it takes to achieve that, to hell with anyone else?

3 comments:

Jason said...

You know, I actually told my comics shop to drop me from Booster this week beacuse it just didn't seem to be going anywhere. then, I remembered on the ride home abou thte Blue Beetle back-ups that are coming and called them and asked them to put it back on my list. So yeah, I'm hooked either way.

Anyway, I do want to see that dinosaur come into play soon.

CalvinPitt said...

jason: I've been debating whether to drop Booster or not myself. It lacks the chuckles lately that I saw in the Johns/Katz (or even Dixon's 2-parter) stories. But I figure I can give it a couple of months with the Blue Beetle back-ups to see if things improve. Plus, I kind of want to see what the Black beetle gets up to.

SallyP said...

You know, I had forgotten about some of those teases. Now I want to see what will ever come of them as well.