Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Why Not Consult With The Creative Team?

This relates to the new Power Girl series. I am planning to buy it (I figure to have comics for reviewing tomorrow. For reals this time, promise*!), so I've been trying to avoid reviews, but I have seen a lot of people talking about the preview DC was including in several issues of their other comics recently (such as Secret Six #8).

The preview didn't really spark my imagination, but it didn't do anything to damage my interest, either. I've seen a lot of people complaining the preview sucked, which surprised me, because I didn't think it was long enough (or really substantive enough) to deem great or terrible like that. Then again, this is the Internet, and people are prone to hyperbole here. Anyway, the preview was being discussed in the comments of Greg Burgas' weekly review when he talked about Power Girl #1, and Jimmy Palmiotti** appeared, commenting on Greg's review, and responding to some of the comments about the preview. The one that interested me the most was that he didn't pick the preview pages, and further, didn't feel they represented the issue well.

First off, I'm pleased he doesn't feel they give the issue a good showing, since it improves the chances I'll enjoy the rest of the issue more than I did the preview. But more importantly, I find it a bit odd he didn't choose the preview pages. I'm assuming that Justin Gray and Amanda Conner didn't choose them either, because I figure if they had, they would have discussed it with Mr. Palmiotti, since they're a team and all.

So who did choose the pages? Did that person (or persons) receive (or request) any input from the people creating the comic? If they did, then why apparently ignore Palmiotti's feelings? If they didn't, why not? Was it felt the creative team was too close to the work to objectively judge what would make a good preview? I imagine the preview is to grab the interest of people who weren't planning to purchase the series (or weren't even aware of it), and change their mind.

Maybe this is common. Authors entrust other people with the task of deciding how best to promote their new books, so I could see it being the same for in comics. Still, I'd think if part of the promotion is to involve an excerpt from the book, they might consult the author about what they think would be an attention-getting (but not too revealing) chapter to use.

* Promise not valid if Thor causes currently unforeseen foul weather to bar my way, or Dong Dong Daddy swipes my car for use if his nefarious corruption of the youth.

** I think it was Jimmy Palmiotti. The person signed their comments as him, and he seems pretty active in the blogowhatchamafloogle, so I'll assume he was who he says he was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the company likes a preview to tease and not give away key points to the book, thats why they picked it. that all said, the book sold well and the reviews are good, so maybe you will give it a chance. and yeah, this is me...lol.

jimmy palmiotti

CalvinPitt said...

jimmy palmiotti: Well, I figured it was you since I guess someone impersonating you would act like a jerk, and you weren't doing that, but it's the Internet, so it's hard to tell.

And Power Girl's on the pull list, I just get my books a couple weeks after everyone else.

And thanks for the information.