Saturday, February 13, 2010

Is It A Big Change If The Same Writer Is Still There?

I see several bloggers are excited about some of DC's upcoming news. Aquaman's coming back, and Geoff Johns is going to do that thing he does - Mutilate some characters while making everything fit into continuity. I'm kidding. Sort of. The Green Lantern franchise is getting another book, which is nice for Green Lantern fans, if not their wallets. Or maybe it is good for wallets. They won't be as full of money, lowering their chances of bursting at the seams. I'm happy Tony Bedard gets to write a higher-selling title, as he seems to keep landing projects which aren't going to get high sales (I'm a fan of his Exiles run).

You know me, though, always been more of a Marvel guy. I'm happy to hear the Agents of Atlas are getting another chance (as Atlas), but the bigger news seems to be about the Avengers. Two teams, two books, Bendis and Romita Jr. on one, Brubaker and Deodato on the Secret Avengers.

Anybody excited about these? I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, I'm curious. I'd prefer the artists be switched, as Deodato's more hit and miss for me than Romita Jr. You say, "Then buy the Bendis/Romita book, Calvin," but I've made my feelings on Bendis' team books pretty clear on this blog. His style hasn't been what I look for. Then again, I'm not sure Brubaker's pacing will be to my liking either. When I read Immortal Iron Fist, I felt some individual issues had little forward progress, and not much to them, though they worked much better when I read several issues consecutively.

In spite of those misgivings, there's part of me inside hopping up and down chanting "They could be good! The rosters could be interesting! You really liked that issue of Moon Knight Deodato drew! Maybe you'll enjoy Bendis' style more this time! Or maybe he'll shift his style more towards something you like!" Yes, it's quite irritating, but it's enthusiasm is a little endearing, like scans daily. I've been trying to encourage that voice, because I'd rather be excited, but I can't help wondering if the titles will be left to their own devices long enough, or if they'll swiftly be dragged into whatever the next big important deal, limiting their ability to find a groove. There's that cynicism again.

How about the rest of you? I imagine there are some folks with considerable trust in Brubaker, or Bendis, or fans of Romita and/or Deodato's work. Maybe you're excited about the prospects of a particular character being on the team?

3 comments:

Seangreyson said...

I don't know. Of the Avengers books I've been reading, New has been my least favorite since Secret Invasion. Mighty Avengers has been a lot of fun, but I don't know if that's cause I love the characters or the writing (Eternity punching out Pym though suggests the writing is pretty awesome).

But I'll likely give the new directions a try. And I just keep hoping they'll start releasing a regular Young Avengers again.

CalvinPitt said...

seangreyson: They've been mostly holding off on Young Avengers, hoping Heinberg comes back, correct? Assuming he didn't come back and take the reins, who would you like to see writing them?

Seangreyson said...

That's the difficult question. Both Dan Slott and Matt Fraction are the guys whose stuff I buy pretty much any time. So either of them would be good. :)