Tuesday, April 06, 2010

It's One Of Those Things What Bothers Them More Than Killing

Why do you think the rest of the Secret Six are worried about this Ragdoll/Black Alice thing?

I think why I know we're supposed to be concerned. Alice is still a high schooler as far as I can tell, while Ragdoll is older. How much older, I don't know, but I'm guessing enough that certain law could come into effect if the relationship continued to progress. Or, it's meant to be troubling because while Alice clearly has issues, a relationship with Mr. Merkel isn't likely to improve that any. Black Alice starts seeing the world the way he does, that could be very bad for her, and certainly bad for many other people*.

Still, why does the rest of the team care? To be fair, I haven't seen Jeanette, Scandal, or Catman make a comment about it. Bane's objection I sort of follow. I don't believe it's on any moral grounds, though Bane's definition of what is "right" is not something I can necessarily predict. From a team perspective, Alice is largely unproven. She had some good moments during their skirmish with the Squad and the Black Lanterns, but she also froze up as things grew more intense. Bane might think she's not going to become more reliable if she can always count on Ragdoll to swoop in and bail her out.

Still, Deadshot is commenting on it, and wondering if they shouldn't intervene. Hardly anything fazes him, but this got his attention. Maybe simply because it made Ragdoll be serious, rather than his usual oddball self, but I'd think that might be a positive. I guess the team is used to him the other way, and despite his disturbing tangents, they could count on him in the past, while a change in personality might mean an end to that. The problem is, I have the impression the concern Deadshot's showing isn't related to their team dynamic, but that he thinks it might actually be wrong to let them build this connection, and I can't figure why he would care.

No comments: