Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows

Watched this Monday night. Maybe it was just me but too much slow-motion. Especially during that artillery barrage in the forest. It wasn't anywhere near the amount there was in say, Sucker Punch, but I found it much more annoying here. But I had no expectations Sucker Punch would be good, while I at least hoped A Game of Shadows would be. Those hopes were not realized, let's say that.

I wasn't watching intently the whole way through, but that's part of the problem. The movie failed to grab my attention sufficiently so that I wouldn't be more interested in what I was reading on the computer simultaneously. I thought they overdid it with the costumes Holmes wore, and just too many explosions. I think I'd have preferred more sneaking about, less blowing stuff up and running about madly.

It's not all bad. I like Jude Law as Watson. His air of long-suffering keeps Holmes from being completely insufferable, because there is someone to point out that Holmes' is rather self-absorbed and prone to not really concerning himself with others' feelings. It's that thing about there being someone to point out the character's bad behavior I was complaining about yesterday. At the same time, Watson is also clearly a good friend to Sherlock, and not such an uptight sort that you can't want things to go well for him. If he were too stiff and full of himself, we'd want Holmes to jerk him around even more, deflate him some. But Watson's a pretty relaxed guy given the opportunity, so I end up rooting for him.

That bit with Holmes and the mountain pony, where they played the theme from Two Mules for Sister Sara, that was an interesting choice. It was funny, but it definitely came out of left field on me. It's fortunate my dad was there, or I'd have been driven mad trying to recall where I heard that music before. Wonder what possessed Ritchie to do that.

No comments: