Monday, September 23, 2013

I Need A Weekend From My Weekend

Long weekend. It was Alex' birthday, so I went to visit, and you know how that goes: Lots of people, lots of music, lots of people drinking. The music was fine, I like most of it, and it's very cool to watch a room packed with people start enthusiastically jumping around when he picks a song they really like.

Thursday night we skirted the edge of pretty serious storm front. I saw more lightning than I have ever have, and that went on for the entire 90 mile drive. Then he played at the club, and one of his drunk coworkers started knocking cups off the bar, then hurled a drink over the two of us because she, 'always wanted to throw a drink on someone.' And Alex wonders why I don't drink. Who wants to act like that kind of asshole?

Alex wasn't happy about working on his birthday, so he ended up claiming it was his birthday from Friday through Sunday. Eh, it was my fault. I tried to raise his spirits by suggesting he make his birthday a three-day event, and he jumped at it. He drank quite a lot Saturday (well, early Sunday morning, technically), but that is his birthday, so it's appropriate. I just wish he'd give up this quest to find some alcoholic beverage I'd like. Or at least not pick things loaded with cinnamon. Blech.

Sunday we went to Project Comic-Con. It was pretty relaxed. Not empty, but not packed to that point where I feel the crush. I would have liked to get there earlier than 12:30, but considering Alex stayed up drinking until after 4:30 in the morning, I'm lucky he actually woke up at 10 (with some prodding from me) like he said he would. I think I've decided to stop back issue hunting at conventions, at least until I can get to one early and get any artwork considerations covered at the start. I picked up some nice artwork, found a couple of artists to look into in the future. Turns out Alex knows Jim Mahfood's brother through DJ circles, which I didn't know (neither did Alex, since he didn't know who Jim Mahfood was), but is somehow unsurprising. Alex' ability to meet and befriend people is staggering.

End of the day, though, it felt like a lot of missed opportunities. I had an idea about getting Fabian Nicieza to sign my New Warriors #1, and tell him how much I enjoyed Cable/Deadpool, but I guess he was only there Saturday, or something came up. I seem to have missed Chris Samnee, too, and I waited too long getting to Rick Burchett to ask for a sketch. I was gonna go for Night Thrasher, because I thought there was over an hour left, but there was really only 20 minutes. Maybe in the future. I did watch him draw an Old Man Bruce Wayne for someone. Observing the whole process was really impressive.

No comments: