Monday, October 21, 2013

A Slow Month For New Books After The Holidays Isn't Awful

January's various comic solicitations came out last week, and there is not much there for me. The next season of the Buffyverse stuff doesn't start until spring, and I have to decide whether I'm buying back in or not anyway. I don't expect to see any Rocketeer or Atomic Robo for awhile. And DC stealth canceled Katana, by which I mean December's issue is the end, but they neglected to mention that until after it didn't appear in January's listings.

Not that it's a surprise. The sales on it (and Vibe, which is also going away) have been lousy pretty much from the start. Still, I thought once it made it past Villains' Month unscathed, it would at least make it a full year, so February for issue 12. Never mind. Which means DC is back down to one book for me. My wallet thanks them.

Which leaves Marvel. Now Marvel announced quite a few upcoming titles at the New York Comic-Con a couple of weeks ago. Most of them don't even have Avengers or X-Men in the title. Which is either a daring (he said sarcastically) choice on their part, or a recognition that there might be a few too many books with those words in the title already. A few of them are starting in January, and there are even a couple I'm interested in, namely X-Factor and Black Widow. Problem: They're both $3.99, and they're both double-shipping that month. Am I prepared to shell out 8 bucks that month for either of those titles, largely sight unseen?

I generally like Peter David's work, but X-Factor plans to prominently feature Polaris and - ugh - Gambit. Those are not exactly selling points. As for Black Widow, I find Phil Noto's work pretty, but stiff, and the only thing of Edmundsen's I've read was the first four issues of the new 52 Grifter series. You might recall I dropped it because he completely failed to make me care about any of the characters, or to impress them upon me in any way. Maybe this is more up his alley, but that hardly guarantees it's up mine.

I hadn't realized just how many of Marvel's titles are selling at $3.99 these days, probably because most of what I buy is $2.99. In January, by my count, there were 16 books at $2.99 or less - there was something called Deadpool Gauntlet (Net) for a buck - and 63 books at $3.99 or higher. That is not an encouraging ratio. As for me, I'm down for 4 books in January, one of which - X-Men - is at the $3.99 price. The others - Daredevil, Deadpool, Superior Foes - are still at $2.99. I also expect that Hawkeye #16 will show up in January. It was originally listed for December, but seeing as issue 13 showed up a month late, 16 is probably getting pushed back as well. Which brings it up to 6 books overall.

Ah well, I can always put the money saved towards back issues or trades.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I think that I'll pass on both Polaris and Gambit...two characters that I really can't stand.

CalvinPitt said...

I was actually intrigued by the recent Gambit series, since it was going to focus on him as a thief (though I'd have been more interested in a Black Cat series that did the same), but yeah, he's usually in the running with Cyclops for Least Favorite X-Man.