Tuesday, October 22, 2013

It's, Er, Cilxerin' Time?

Sounds like an allergy medicine.

As per usual, the month after I talk about the DC Heroclix I'd like to get, I talk about the Marvel Heroclix I'd like to get. This last year was fairly quiet by Marvel standards, since DC got more sets than they usually do. There was Amazing Spider-Man over the winter, Wolverine and the X-Men in the summer, and they did a smaller set for the new Thor movie earlier this month. There's also some sort of Fear Itself thing, but I can tell whether it's another mini-set, or stuff you get from specific competitive events. Little of both, maybe.

I tend to have more than five characters I'd like to see on the Marvel side of it, so I group them into categories instead. But there are only five categories! So let's check in:

Cosmic: Galactic Guardians in the spring of 2012 took care of most of this, but there's still the matter of Ikon, if I wanted to complete an Annihilators team. I'm not holding out hope, unless she survived Infinity and Hickman makes her a key part of his Avengers run, which is doubtful since he's made so many people Avengers I'm not sure how any of them could be key.

Street-Level: Still no Rage or Silhouette for my New Warriors' themed dreams, but they were longshots, except maybe in the Amazing Spider-Man set. Then again, there's an Iron man-themed set coming in a month or so, and a major part of it is gonna be Alpha Flight so, who knows. On the upside, Amazing Spider-Man did have Colleen Wing and Misty Knight. As a Duo figure (2 character on 1 base), rather than two separate ones (because they needed room for 17 different Spider-Man figures in the set, obviously), but at least it's something.

Mutants: Wolverine and the X-Men came through. Monet and a Layla Miller both showed up, plus the first new Longshot in years, and a Dazzler that isn't the Ultimate version, or the Disco version. No Stacy X, but I wasn't really expecting a miracle.

Avengers: It took 3 sets spread between 2011 and 2013, but they finally finished the Great Lakes Avengers. Flatman and Bertha both showed up in Wolverine and the X-Men. Told you that set came through for me. of course, I think by the way they do set retirement Captain America is about to go out of "Modern Age", and that takes Doorman, Mr. Immortal, and Squirrel Girl with it. But that only matters if you play competitive tournaments, rather than just screwing around like me.

Atlas: Still no sign of Triathlon or SHIELD Agent Derek Khanata. Not expecting the latter, but Delroy might show up eventually. He'll probably be 3-D Man when he does, since he switched to that identity, but I'll take it.

All told, 6 of the characters I was looking for were made in some form or the other, plus some characters got new figures for the first time in a long while. Still leaves six characters out there, none of whom seem likely candidates going forward. Looking ahead, there's the upcoming Invincible Iron Man set, and supposedly a Deadpool set?! Don't ask me.

Deadpool: What are you talking about? I absolutely deserve a set with all the work I've done carrying Marvel the last few years!

Wade, I'm not sure you have enough characters in your orbit to fill an entire set, unless you really think Kane merits a slot. Or maybe, generic dude with pouches you shot in the face.

Deadpool: Generic Pouch Dude is a beloved character for fans of all ages! And how else are the Howard the Duck loonies going to get a Doctor Bong figure?

Point. Now go away, we aren't ready for you yet.

Deadpool: *walks away muttering* Maybe if you'd review that first trade of my new series you bought months ago you'd be ready. . .

If I were going to add characters, it'd be here, in the form of the Slingers. We sort of got them in the Amazing set, but a) it was meant to be Spidey when he used those identities, and b) they were chase figures, so fairly rare and kind of pricey. However, they did include a Prodigy in the Fear Itself stuff, which makes me think maybe Dusk, Ricochet and Hornet could show up later? Though Wolverine and the X-Men would have been a good place for Ricochet (he's a mutant), and Hornet could pop up in the Iron Man set (powered armor and all). I'm less sure where Dusk could appear, but the themes of sets aren't ironclad, so anywhere would be fine.

No comments: