Friday, July 20, 2007

And It's Starting To Tear From Within

{So are you sure you're up to this? You worked pretty hard last Friday.} Yeah, I've been resting all week. I'll be fine. {Well, alright then. let's kick this thing off!}

Applause for Ultimate Peter Parker, for being determined to continue his education. It'd be easy to use the super-hero stuff as an excuse to not keep getting an education, but Peter says he's gonna keep saving people and get two Ph.D.'s, bravo. {Hmm, since Nick Fury said Pete would have to work for him when he turns 18, I wonder if he can get money for college out of that, like you can in the Armed Forces?} Ooh, that would be neat! {Yeah, it would almost make up for having to work for a tool like Nick Fury.} You're never going to stop being mean to Nick Fury are you? He put Peter's house back together. {After his Spider Slayers helped tear it apart!} Whatever. I want to move on to Phyla-Vell. She doesn't have enough confidence in herself, so I think some Applause for taking on the Super-Adaptoid by herself, and looking after her friend, plus a Hug because she's in a tough spot. She keeps having to make tough decisions, even if she doesn't like them, and that just makes her doubt herself more. So I want her to know I think she's doing a good job.

I have a Hug for Ultimate Aunt May. She isn't doing as bad as the other Aunt May, but she just got out of the hospital, and now she's going to spend a lot of time worrying about Peter being Spider-Man. {Plus, SHIELD had her house repainted a real ugly color. What were you thinking, Nick Fury?} Would you leave Nick Fury alone? {Ummmm, no.} Well, I'm not bonking him, so don't think you'll get to see that! {So who are you gonna bonk, huh? I bet no one, because you just aren't up to it, are ya?}

I am so up to it! I'm going to Bonk the Phalanx and Super-Adaptoid. First, that temple they destroyed was full of talking, intelligent trees! You can't destroy something that cool! And second, "Super Adaptoid" is a dumb name, so he gets bonked just for that. {Wait, you won't bonk Ultimate Nick Fury for having Aunt May's house repainted an ugly color when they fixed it, but you'll bonk a machine for having a dumb name?} But Nick Fury did a good thing having the house rebuilt, so that's why he doesn't deserve a Bonk!

7 comments:

SallyP said...

A bonk on the head to me. I always get Ultimate Spider-Man...and this week, I just forgot!

Oops.

I...I must have been distracted by Birds of Prey and Checkmate. Two hugs for Fire and Ice! (but I still want to see Ice and Guy)

A bonk to Calvin for wanting to cover up Guy's manliness with a "hoodie". No I haven't forgotten!

A bonk to Tony Stark. *yawn*

Jason said...

Applause to Batman for outsmarting Braniac 5. Take that 12th level intelligence!

Both applause & Hugs for Billy & Mary Batson for beating Dr. Siviana and finding a new "family".

I'd bonk the Hulk...but I'm afraid he'd bonk me back. Instead, a bonk to the Sentry. Dude, if you're not gonna fight, then just leave the costume in the closet.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Hugs for Fire and Ice and Bonks for Calvin and Stark coming up!

jason: Do you get the feeling The Snetry just wants ot watch all the other heroes quirm for awhile before he zooms in to save the day? Letting them be hoist on their own petard and all that?

Jason said...

When I look at Sentry, all I see is a cynical attempt by Marvel to create their own Superman analogue. They have plenty of Batman analogues (Cap, Daredevil, Nighthawk, etc.), but they've never had a true Superman-guy. When I see Sentry I just hear Joe Q. yelling "Hey, we have Superman too, but ours has mental problems so he's edgier!"

Matthew said...

Don't forget that Sentry wasn't really supposed to be a long-term player in the Marvel scene. I will defend to the death the original mini, though I'm not so sure about his inclusion in the mainstream universe.

Mind you, I heard a very interesting World War Hulk rumour about the Sentry the other day ...

CalvinPitt said...

jason: I think Paul Jenkins had good intentions when he created the Sentry, those have just been subverted by Marvel's insistence of including him in all of the Marvel U.'s big events lately. He's there, but he can't do anything because he's so powerful he'd end it in three seconds, so he's playing a spectator, which just seems pointless.

matthew: Yeah, I've heard really good things about that first mini-series. It just doesn't seem that he meshes well with the rest of Marvel. It's either he's too powerful, or too indecisive, or something.

Matthew said...

Exactly! He doesn't really mesh with it because he is still, essentially, the same character as he was in his mini. In that, he basically HAD to be near-omnipotent in order for his alter ego, the Void, to be a credible threat to all existence.

Without a massive depowering, he really does seem out of place as you mention in your reply to Jason. Of course, if he does get depowered then the character loses even more meaning - who'd be worried about his mental state if the Thunderbolts could take him down, after all?

I still love him with a blinding passion, mind you.